16. the bully's protection

After my confrontation with Corbin yesterday, nothing happened to me for the rest of the day

After my confrontation with Corbin yesterday, nothing happened to me for the rest of the day. I guess he did do it.

I cannot wait for this week to be over even though it's only Tuesday. I miss Lucas even though we've been texting each other nonstop. I didn't tell him what happened to me yesterday because I didn't want him to worry. He doesn't need to know.

I'm currently walking outside by myself since I'm not hungry. Everyone is inside the cafeteria right now, eating and chatting with their friends.

I hear a few footsteps behind me so I look back to see Carly and Carol. They both suddenly grab my arm and drag me away.

"What are you guys doing?" I asks loudly. They ignore me and drag me behind the school gym where we're away from plain sight.

"What are you guys doing?" I ask again. They let me go. I see a familiar figure walking towards us from the corner. I turn and notice that it's Alison, Corbin's ex-girlfriend.

She approaches me as Carly and Carol surround me. I look at her with confusion as she glares at me. What does she want with me?

After a few seconds of silence, she finally speak up, "Corbin told the whole student body that we can do whatever we want to you. I guess he got tired of protecting you."

"Protecting me?" I asks, furrowing my brows in confusion. When has he ever protected me?

She chuckle in disbelief, "You didn't know?" The utter confusion look on my face answers her question.

She notices and explains, "All three years that you've been here, he threatened everybody to never mess with you. I was always jealous of you. Having a guardian angel looking over you."

Since when? Why would he? This is only confusing me even more.

She continues with a death glare, "He never paid me any attention when we were going out. It was always Hazel. Hazel this, Hazel that."

Suddenly, I feel a shot of pain in my cheek. A second later, another on my other cheek.

Did she seriously just bitchslapped me? I didn't even see that coming. It was out of nowhere. God, that hurt like a bitch.

"Good luck surviving for the rest of the year," Alison warn me before leaving with her minions following behind.

I stay silent, still processing what had just happened.

After hearing what Alison said, it only confuses me more. Why did Corbin tell everyone not to mess with me for all three years? We rarely talked. The only times I've ever talked to him was when he was hurting Lucas. This semester is the only time I've actually had a full on conversation with him because of English class.

But why is Alison doing this? I've never done anything to her. We rarely talked too.

The pain in both my cheeks break me out of my trance. I can feel blood rushing through as my cheeks warms up.

With my hands on my cheek, I walk away.

-

My cheeks are still hurting. I hope they're not as red as they were earlier.

"Remember that your senior field trip is this weekend," Mrs. Johnson reminds everyone. I had completely forgotten about our trip.

The senior class has extra money left from all the fundraising we did over the years so we're using it to go on a senior field trip where we stay at a lake cabin for two days.

"So today's the day we share what our partners major should be. Please sit with your partner and tell each other," she instructs. People starts moving out of their seats to sit next to their partner.

Oh crap. I forgot my partner is Corbin. I look around to search for him but I don't see him anywhere.

At that moment, the door open revealing Corbin. He makes eye contact with me then look away. I watch him as he makes his way to the seat next to me.

I turn to him, faking a smile even though my cheeks hurts like hell right now. He doesn't say anything but just stare at me with his usual stone cold gaze.

I avoid his gaze and look around to see others chatting away with their partners.

I guess I'll start first. I turn to him again and start, "Since you wanted to take over your father's company, I think you should major in Business."

Corbin scoff and roll his eyes at my suggestion earning a sneer from me.

Corbin's turn. He sigh before speaking, "You're a good listener and give good advice. You have a thing with figuring out people's weakness. I think you should major in psychology and be a counselor."

I look at Corbin, completely taken aback. I thought he wasn't going to take this seriously but his answer surprised me. I have thought about counseling.

Of course, I'm not going to admit it to Corbin. Instead I just avoid his gaze and pretend to be occupy by my desk.

Corbin ignored me for the rest of class and it was very awkward for me. I want to know why Alison said that he had protected me. I didn't want to talk about it during class so I decided to ask him about it after class.

After a long hour, class finally comes to an end. I turn to Corbin but he was already halfway out the door. I watch as he leaves the classroom.

I quickly put my notebook in my bag, grab my bag, and follow after him.