17. the bully's confession

"Why did Alison said that you've been protecting me? Since when?" Corbin stops in his track and turn to me

"Why did Alison said that you've been protecting me? Since when?" Corbin stops in his track and turn to me. He looks amuse yet at the same time confused.

He smirks, "Don't start caring now or I might actually believe that you have feelings for me."

I twist my face in confusion. "What is your problem? Why are you always so mean? I mean, in 5th grade, you started bullying Lucas out of the blue for no reason and you've never left him alone since then. Why?"

I notice hesitation in Corbin's face. He suddenly grab my hand and drag me inside the closest empty classroom, away from everyone else in the hallway.

I jerk my hand back after we enter the empty room. Why did he drag me in here?

I wait for Corbin to speak. He sighs and look at me with a serious look. "You were right." My eyebrows twist with confusion. Right about what?

"I don't let people in. But I'm not afraid of love. You wanna know why I keep bothering Lucas all these years?"

He doesn't wait for me to answer, "Because of you. I've liked you since 3rd grade. I thought it was a stupid crush and that it was going to go away but I just find myself liking you more and more each day. And I was going to ask you out in 7th grade but I overheard you saying that you like Lucas so I never stood a chance. I was so mad that I wanted to hurt Lucas. So I bullied him and it felt good."

I stare at him, completely speechless. What is he saying?

"You liked me?" I scoff in disbelief. "You don't hurt the people you love."

Corbin step closer towards me. "I never hurt you."

"But you hurt Lucas."

He scoff and chuckle in disbelief, stepping back. "Whatever I do, I'll just end up being the bad guy. Like I said, I never stood a chance. You win, Hazel."

I just stare at him, speechless and confuse at the situation.

Corbin walk pass me and out the door.