25. the good girl's ride home

Thankfully, dinner with the Foxx family came to an end

Thankfully, dinner with the Foxx family came to an end. After helping Mrs. Foxx clean the table and wash the dishes, she forced Corbin to take me home. 'Forced' wouldn't be the right word for it since he was more than happy to take me.

"So..." I break the silence. "Your family's nice." Corbin scoffs at my comment to my surprise.

"I like your mom," I said.

"My mom's dead," he quickly respond. I notice his jaw clenching and his shoulder tense. Why does he get so defense on the topic of his mom?

A thought came to mind at the question: he's still hurt and heartbroken from his mom's death. He told me his mom passed away when he was 10. To lose his mom at such a young age, it must've caused him a lot of pain. From what I've seemed, he and his dad don't get along. I wonder what it must've been like without a loving parent by his side.

Maybe that's why he wants to be alone. He doesn't want anybody to experience the same pain he did.

"I mean, your stepmom," I correct myself.

He shrug, "She's alright. My father's a douche though."

"Why's that?" I ask.

I notice Corbin hesitating to answer, "You want to know the truth behind the rumors of me getting Emily pregnant?" His question definitely got my attention. My eyebrows quirk in anticipation.

"It's true that Emily was pregnant, but the baby wasn't mine," Corbin explained. "He thinks rules should be followed, but he's broken every single one of them." Corbin's grip on the wheels tighten.

Shocked at what he just said, I stay silent.

His dad? Mr. Foxx was the father of Emily's baby? That means, he paid her off to get an abortion. How could he! She dropped out of school because of his stupid mistake. How could he sleep with a student?

My thoughts must be running wild. When I snap out of my thoughts, we've already arrived at my house.

Corbin park the car in the driveway. I unbuckle my belt and open the door to get out but he stops me. "I'm serious about what I said. I won't stop until you're deeply in love with me. I've let Lucas win too many times. It's my turn now."

I scoff at him in disbelief. He has not changed at all. He thinks it's a game. Like there has to be a loser and a winner.

I didn't bother to reply and leave without a look back.

-

What is school?

I walk through the halls, trying to keep myself from falling asleep right here right now.

I couldn't sleep at all last night. I keep worrying about Lucas. And when I'm not worrying about Lucas, I'm thinking of Corbin.

Why is life so complicated? I just want to sleep.

I pause in my track once I see Lucas ahead of me, looking at his phone. I haven't been able to get in contact with him after that night. I'm suddenly not sleepy anymore. With a deep breath, I speed-walk to him, determined to find out the truth.

"What the hell happened, Lucas? Why are you involved with people like them?" I confront him. He look up from his phone in shock.

"It's not your problem. It's mine so let me deal with it my way. Please don't get involved," Was all he said before he walk pass me and leave.

I turn to see his back walking further away. "What does that mean? What are you planning to do Lucas?" I call after him but he continues walking away.

I feel more and more distant between him nowadays. Like we're falling apart. He's a completely different person now.

~*~

A/N

Thank you for reading!
There's only THREE more chapters left until this book ends. Thank you so much for all the love and support!