The Shocking News

"Casey, wake up."
I told myself this was just a nightmare that will soon be over.

"HOLD YOUR FIRE!"
I saw thousands of German walking toward me with a rifle in each other's hand.
I stayed low, hiding behind a bush.
Trying not to make any noise.
I can't believe I'm in a battle with American soldiers. If it was a dream that this was probably my most realistic dream I've ever had.

"FALL BACK ANDERSON!"
I heard someone shouting from my back. I think it's my cue to leave this place.
Just when I was about to stand up, a tall German pointed his gun at me, murmuring some words I don't even understand in his mouth.
I knew I have to pull the trigger. But instead, I lay on the ground frozen.

"Please don't do this."
I tried to let him sympathize me.
However, it didn't work out. I slowly closed my eyes, trying to stay calm and find some inner peace.

"Casey, wake up!" I shouted. I knew this was just a dream but however I found it pretty odd cause no matter how hard I tried... I just couldn't wake up.

"Wake up!"
When I opened my eyes, I was lying on my bed... thank god it was just a dream.

"Casey! You've already slept for 12 hours! Now get up!" Mom shouted, giving me that 'you're dead' look.
However, I still couldn't get that bizarre dream out of my head. It felt so real that I almost forgot it was a dream.
I yawned, stretching my legs and arms. Forcing myself to get out of bed. Then I went downstairs to see my parents.
As soon as I went downstairs, I saw a letter on the floor. Out of curiosity I picked it up and flipped it over. Terror had flooded all over me. It's the letter from military.

"Casey, whose letter is it?" Mom shouted from upstairs, holding some clothes in her hands.

"Umm... a letter for dad. I'm gonna go give it to him. Don't worry." I replied. But still holding it in my hand. Worrying sick about my dad. It's definitely a recruiting letter. As for my dad? He had been sick since last year, suffering from a severe decease. Since our country had decided to join the war against the German I guess they had no choice but to recruit my dad. He had joined World War 1 before and unfortunately he really wanted to serve the country. But I had almost lost him once and I don't want to lose him again. The terrible feeling of losing my dad took over my body abruptly.
At this moment an odd idea suddenly struck me.
What if I could take his place to join the army? That was the lamest idea I've ever heard! Even the dumbest person knew that women couldn't join the army. But I don't have a choice. No one in this house can replace him expect me.

"Casey." Dad called from behind, sounded like he doesn't want me to read it.

"Oh, hey dad." I replied, turning on him.

"Let me see the letter." Dad extended his arms,waiting for me to give him the letter.

"Oh...sure!" I replied. "Here you go." My voice sounded cracked somehow. Probably because I don't want him to read it.
I stood there, folding my arms and cleaned my throat tried to act as calm as possible.
However, after a while. I was expected dad to say something. Instead, he stood there, seemingly lost in thoughts.

"Uh...Dad?" I decided to be the first one who broke the silence.

"Yeah?" Dad's expression changed abruptly. He seemed to be scared by my sudden speaking.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine," He replied. "I'm just too excited to see this. I've been waiting for something like this happened and it really did happen! I can't believe it!"

Dad was so excited about this that I should have been happy for him. But I was thinking maybe I should persuade him not to join.

"But dad—" Dad cut off my words by coughing.

"Are you okay?" I patted his back.

"Yeah— I just...need some rest that's all." He replied while breathing heavily through his chest.
"Please dad," I said out loud without second thought. "Please don't go." I paused, looking at him, pleading in my eyes.

"I'm sorry sweetheart." He replied, facing me while holding my hands.

"I will enlist tomorrow, take care of your mom for me Cat. Promise me." He looked at me straight in the eyes, as if implying he won't come home anymore. I felt a shiver passed through my body. All of me felt numb and helpless...

"But dad...you don't have to—"
I'd tried so hard to hold back my tears, making sure they stay in the place where they should be.

"Promise me!" He gave me a serious look, his words seemed trembling as well.

"I... I promise dad." I answered, although part of me knew that dad had been so sick that if he joined the army would definitely be killed or even be killed by his own decease.

"Good....good..." He patted me on the shoulder and walked toward the kitchen. I flashed him a smile and went upstairs to take a shower.

During the time while showering in my bathroom, I kept recalling the words my dad had said to me.
Take care of your mom for me Cat... those words still seemed vivid to me. I leaned my body against the wall, brooding over my dad's situation. Then I heard dad and mom arguing downstairs, those echoes were so loud that even I could hear that in my own bathroom.
"You can't just leave us! Not again!" Mom shouted.

"I want to join the army, I have to! It's my duty."

"You are just as stubborn as your dad."

"Whatever! I'm leaving anyway."

"Where are you going?"

"Packing my stuff! I'm leaving tomorrow morning."

"Chris!"

I couldn't handle it anymore, hearing my parents arguing again only made me realize how weak I am. I had to do something.
After a quick shower, I started packing my stuff into a luggage, clothes...toothbrush...anything useful. I was hoping that my final decision was right. I hoped I don't regret my decision.

My plan was to leave at midnight, if I leave right now, I would definitely be caught by them.

Dear dad,
I knew that you had to join the army, but you can't just go with your severe decease. So I decided to join them to replace you. I know it sounds ridiculous, but believe me. I know exactly what I was doing. Don't try to find me and persuade me to go home because I won't.
Take care of mom for me. Don't upset her ever again. And don't worry about me, I'll come back home alive. I'll be alive for you dad, I promise.
                         Love, daughter

To be continued...