D-Day Part 3

"MEDIC!" I yelled as I rolled up Zussman's shirt to check the wound, it couldn't stop bleeding. I turned my head up and scanned over the surroundings, there were some people being treated by a medic. He seemed pretty preoccupied but there seemed to be no one else could help Zussman.
"I need morphine." Zussman muttered as he struggled hard to squeeze words out of his mouth. I put his right hand on his wound and gently pressed it to prevent more blood from coming. After that I picked up morphine from my pocket and gave him an injection by sticking into his leg. It was such a horrifying moment which I really wanted to forget, hearing Zussman's groan was just painful. I tried my best to stay as calm as possible and squeezed his hand.
"You gotta hang on. You'll be fine Zuss." I paused, trying to think some other words to assure him. "Those girls in Paris are waiting for ya." I forced myself to smile, gently brushing his hair with my hand.
Unexpectedly the corner of his lips started to form a smile. "Really?"
"Course they are." I said in a soothing voice.
"I...Uh... Will you get jealous? If I actually get a girl there?" He formed a mischievous smirk even though he was almost running out of breath.
I let out a chuckle and felt relieved in my heart. "You kidding me?"

"It's okay, I can't see shit. I'm gonna rest right here." He slowly closed his eyes which startled me.
"No, no, no, you have to stay awake. Hey." I put my hand on his head, afraid to lose him literally.
Then just as I did that, he opened his eyes and muttered my name. "Anderson."
"I'm here."
He paused for a few seconds then gazed straight at me.
"Help me." His voice was weak which almost made my heart stop beating.
I lifted my head up and searched for someone who could help him.
"I need a goddamn medic!" I cried out as my voice cracked. I hated the fact that I couldn't do anything to help him. I felt helpless and weak...
After a few seconds of waiting, the medic who just helped the other patient came toward us and kneeled beside Zussman. He pressed his wound with his hands.
"I got this! Go!" He said without looking up at me. I slightly nodded, hesitated at first but then I decided to trust him completely. I grabbed my rifle and got to my feet as Turner ran toward me.
"He'll take care of him." Turner gave me a firm gaze. "I need you with me Anderson." He then turned to others. "Listen up," He straightened his helmet and turned to look at me. "There's a GPF cannon by the farm house up the road. It's tearing up the beach."
He gestured us to follow him. "Let's move!"
I looked down at Zussman. "We'll come back for ya!"
I reloaded my rifle and ran to catch up with Turner and others.
"Check your ammo and grenades!" Turner yelled as I touched my pocket to make sure I had the grenades.
"You heard him. Up the road, now!" Pierson added.
I turned and caught a quick glance at Zussman, he lay at the CCP as the medic took care of him. I really hope he'll be fine. As I turned to the front, Aiello and Stiles were walking in front of me. They turned around and shot me a smile. I in return gave them a small smile. They looked as if I were in a severe wound... Well... I hadn't even look at myself, I'm sure after that brutal fight against the kraut, I must look horrible now. I can smell blood on my shirt and my face must be covered with mud and wounds as well.
"Are you alright?" Aiello asked while kept walking.
"Yeah, I'm— I'm totally fine." I replied while wiping some mud from my face.
"You look—"
"Hey, no pep talk. Hurry the hell up!" Pierson snapped as he ran past us and shot us a glare.
We exchanged one another an eye roll and hurried to the position.
"You all are slower than pond water!" Pierson bellowed out as he made himself to the front. The rest of us, including Turner, followed behind him.
"When we get to the farmhouse, be ready to engage!" Turner barked orders.
"Move fast! They are shelling that beach to shit!" Pierson yelled as someone ran past him and stepped into a bomb. It soon blew up and his body was on fire. Pierson stopped the pace immediately and got to cover. And that there's this familiar sound— gunfire.
"MG in the hay loft, take cover!" Turner shouted.
I moved to hide behind the wagon. Once Stiles threw the grenade out and exploded, I popped up to search for a specific target. A man was creeping toward us behind a car. I waited till the right moment as he revealed his face, I squeezed the trigger and shot him right in the head. Others were busy shooting as a smoke grenade came right toward us and exploded, causing us to cough. A flurry of weapons filled the air, but there was so much smoke that it was impossible to aim at anyone.
I turned and squinted at others, Turner gestured his hand at 12 o clock, I turned to where he had indicated. The MG was in the second floor of the building in front of us. After a while, the smoke was cleared away. Pierson shot his weapon as best he could while running.
"Come on! Hit the MG!" Pierson shouted while killing some of the krauts as we nodded at one another and got to our feet.
I swiftly moved to the nearest barrier, a bullet flew past, barely missing. I tried to be like a prestigious agent as I stayed behind a rock, trying to get a better angle to shoot the MG. I lifted my head up, trying to find the exact spot where the MG was. Then a grenade came out of nowhere landed beside me as I watched in shock and threw it out without hesitation.
Suddenly I felt someone grabbed my arm as I flinched and aimed my rifle at him.
"Jesus, Aiello. You need to stop doing that." I put down the weapon and sighed.
"I know, sorry. I just want to tell you that this spot is not safe," He looked away and remained his gaze at a place behind me. I turned and followed his eyes to an abandoned car.
"Turner is behind that car too, let's move." He said as he grabbed my arm, let me move with him.
Aiello let go of my arm while we arrived at the car, he took out a grenade and threw it to where the MG was. "Fire in the hole!"
My eyes widened as I watched the guy behind the MG fell off the building.
"Good throw Aiello." Turner shot him a smile.
"Thank you sir." He smiled back as he reloaded the weapon.
But there were like twenty more krauts in the farmhouse shooting at us. I glanced up at the top of the building and saw two men using the MGs.
"Alright, here's the plan," Turner gestured. I turned back looked at him. "Aiello, I need you and Anderson defend the position. Go upstairs to that building and use that MG to defend us."
We gave each other a nod and got to our feet, moving while staying low.
"Krauts inbound!" I heard Pierson's voice coming from the first floor of the building.
As we entered the farmhouse, we scanned closely over the room. It was narrow and dark inside, making my heart beating fast.
"Watch out!" Aiello yelled as I turned around and saw a kraut standing a few inches from me. Before I could shoot him, Aiello pulled the trigger and hit him in the leg, the man groaned in pain as he dropped his weapon to the ground. I added one more shot to his chest, he finally collapsed to his knees.
"That was close, thanks." I glanced at him and continued moving upstairs, Aiello followed from behind.
When we arrived at the second floor, there was two big hole in front of the two MG.
"I'll take the left one, you take the right." He said as he moved to the MG and started shooting.
I glanced at the MG and crouched down behind it. To be honest? I've never used a MG before, but I think I got this...right?
I looked down at the farm, Pierson and others were there shooting the krauts and protected the canon.
"Incoming!" I heard Pierson's husky voice as I looked to the right and saw a bunch of krauts shooting outside of the farm, there was railings between German and us.
"Here they come! Open fire!" Hearing Turner's voice I decided to shoot. As I opened fire, the recoil of the MG was so strong that I got scared and let out a short scream. Falling backward.
"Anderson, you alright?" Aiello shouted while stopped the fire.
"I'm okay, just keep shooting!" I shouted back as I took a deep breath and crouched back behind the MG, I could feel my hands shaking and sweating. Come on Casey, they need you. Stop being a pussy. I told myself as I blinked slowly and adjusted my heart rate. Starting shooting at the krauts, my arms were kind of hurt as the MG leaned against my muscles, vibrating over and over. There were like a hundred of krauts which made my heart sank. Adrenaline flooded over me as I continued firing at them. A bullet flew past my arms which almost shot me. I reloaded the MG and went on shooting. After a while I saw grenades detonating over and over and the krauts stopped firing and started fleeing.
"Our boys are coming!" Stiles cheered.
"Look at them scatter!" Aiello said.
I stopped firing and put down the MG.
"Alright, boys. We mopped em up good." Pierson said.
I got up and went downstairs with Aiello. I saw Turner, Pierson and Stiles rallied up beside the canon.
"Clear! Destroy that canon!" Turner barked orders as Stiles crouched down.
"Stiles, thermite!" A soldier ran past me with a box of thermite in his hand and crouched down beside Stiles. He put down the thermite and nodded at Stiles.
He took out an explosive and fired it up, throwing it in the thermite.
"Fire in the hole!" He bellowed as we all fled away. Within a second, the canon was destroyed.
"Good work, Stiles. Alright fellas, rally on me to the assembly point." Turner said as he started moving to the position, we fell in behind him.
"Pierson, I'll need a casualty report. We lost so many." He added while moving.
"But we took the beach." Pierson protested.
"Paid a damn high price." Turner responded, I could hear a regret in his voice.
I continued moving as I squinted at the front, there was a man lying on the ground, it looked like Zussman. I hurried my pace to get a better look, it really was him.
I ran toward him and crouched beside him, Aiello was there beside him as well.
At the sight of me, Zussman slightly supported his body with his arms and got up half of the body.
"Anderson..." Zussman said.
Aiello was there holding a cigarette in his mouth. "Man, I thought I'd seen everything..."
"He gonna be alright?" I asked, anxiety in my weary voice.
Zussman and Aiello exchanged a gaze then Aiello took out the cigarette and flicked it away. Resting his gaze at me. "Yeah. They taped him up pretty good."

"Shoulda stayed on the boat." Zussman sighed.
"Oh now he tells us." Aiello said, sarcasm was thick.
Zussman formed a smirk, glancing at Aiello then looked back at me.
"Hey, I'm really sorry...for what happened." I sighed. "It was my fault."
Zussman frowned. "No, it's not your fault at all."
"I think I'm responsible for it."
"Hey," Zussman gave me a warm smile. "Don't blame this on yourself, okay?"
I nodded and smiled back at him.
"To the end?" Zussman reached across his hand.
I reached over my hand and shook his. "To the end."
"Beachhead's secured. We'll bivouac at the second hedgerow after the bridge." Turner spoke up as I lifted my head. I stood up and saw Pierson walking toward me and gave me a penetrating eyes.
"Welcome to the Bloody First," He said to me unemotionally. He lifted up his weapon and his eyes rested on me for another second before looking away. "You're a long way from your hometown, Anderson." He then walked away as Turner stood there, glancing at me for a few seconds and walked toward me with weapon in his hands. I tucked my messy hair behind my ears, my ponytail was loose and a mess as well.
I fumbled for words, but Turner spoke up first.
"None of us could have prepared for that. But you came through when it counted." The corner of his lips started to form a smile.
I paused for a few seconds before speaking up.
"Thanks sir, I uh...thank you." I said clumsily.
Turner moved closer and patted me on the shoulder. "You'll be alright, Anderson."
"Yes sir." I smiled.
Turner let go of his arm and walked away. I looked down at my hands, it was covered with blood and my hands were shaking.
I remembered the vow I just made to Zussman. To the end.

To be continued....
So here's another chapter, I hope you like it! Let me say something straight first— Zussman and Casey are just BFF, and yes there will have some romantic moments in upcoming chapters because I don't want to rush it. But don't worry it will have some romantic scenes later! You can guess who Casey will fall in love with in later chapters😊