Hayami Rinka Time

Hayami turned yet another page of her book and took a gulp of her overpriced and way too bitter coffee. She was curled up in a dusty windowsill on the top floor of the college library. Despite the thick curtains, she could feel the cold from outside. It was raining, which suited Hayami just fine.

She was completely engulfed in the pages that contained the story of Katniss Everdeen and Panem. She had read the same book so often that every word was stamped in her brain. She dreamed of being a part of The Hunger Games and winning, and taking on Cato and Thrush and Brutus. She imagined taking every one of them down with deadly accuracy and skill using the handgun she kept in the nightstand in her very small house.

Hayami actually had two guns. One was the small black handgun she had bought, and another was one that was green and had a red 'E' printed on it and only shot harmless pink BBs. Harmless to humans, of course, but it shoots through yellow octopus flesh like a knife through pudding.

Of course, any kind of weapons were not allowed on campus. Hayami didn't care. You could say that spending a whole year with a freaky supercreature thing makes you paranoid.

It started to get dark, Hayami noticed, so she packed up her belongings and started finding her way out of the enormous maze filled with books. She glanced at a huge clock on the wall above a window to find that it was much later than she had thought. She hurried out of the building and attempted to find her car with little success.

The rain and wind whistled past her so that she couldn't see her surroundings. Yellow street lights scattered around the parking lot just disoriented her further.

She slipped her hood over her orange hair and tried to collect herself. The fierce rain suddenly lightened up, and the wind gave one last shove before subsiding. Hayami couldn't tell for sure, but she thought she heard a tree crush something on the opposite side of the enormous college parking lot. This was probably true, since glass shattered and a car alarm blared.

More importantly, Hayami heard footsteps. Fast paced, heading right towards her. They were coming from the side of the building, where there was no lighting. Hayami turned in he opposite direction and started walking back towards the library. She reached the door to find that it was locked.

'That's right,' she thought. 'Dammit. They close at ten. And I don't have my gun..'

Hayami whipped around and didn't move. She waited until the person was close enough to hear her.

"You have five seconds to turn in the opposite direction and leave!"

"H-huh? Sorry, is the library closed?"

"What? Uh, yeah it is. "

"Aw, that's a shame. Thanks anyway?"

Hayami stood against the building, trying to clear her mind.

'What's wrong with me? Why am I so paranoid?'

She sighed and attempted to find her car once again while the rain was still light. She searched the entire lot and found it directly next to the tree that fell on a car. Hayami drove off to her house, adrenaline rushing through her veins.

Instead of working on her own student aid essay, she crawled up in her bed and tucked her gun under her pillow. It was the green gun with white and red writing, and all it fired was pink BBs.