Graduation Ceremony Time

Hayami's POV

'Meet me at my place when you are done. The key is under the sprinkler head next to the bright red flower pot,' Hayami texted Chiba.

'Got it,' Chiba responded. 'I should be done in about an hour.'

Hayami sighed and placed her phone in her small black purse. She usually never wore purses, but there was no pockets in her graduation gown. She was in the public restroom at the convention center where her graduation was held.

Hayami and Chiba both needed their diplomas and they had no idea how to get them without going to the ceremony, so they had decided yesterday to be there just long enough to get their diploma so that they could still make their flight.

Hayami looked at herself in the mirror and sighed. Anxiety was building up in her chest, causing her breaths to be short and rapid. But there was no avoiding the situation as she would usually do when faced with extreme anxiety. She forced herself to take a long, deep breath and pushed her legs to carry her out of the bathroom, into the place where she would wait until her name was called.

The announcer had already announced the national anthem, which was sung by a suprano who was also in Hayami's math class. And now, the first dozen people were being called onto the stage, about to be handed their diplomas and escape this hellhole some call college.

Hayami smiled at the thought. No more debt. No more all-nighters. No more awkward conversations between desperate college students. No more having to deal with extroverts. No. More.

Too quickly, it seemed, the people with their last names starting with R we're called up. Hayami felt a lump in her throat as she heard the names pass. Yuki Rife. Fang Riley. Hayami Rinka.

Hayami Rinka.

Hayami took in a breath as she walked along the purple carpet leading to the side of the stage. She tried not to look around, but she truly couldn't help it. And what she saw was terrifying.

Thousands, no it seemed more like millions of people were gathered in the convention center, all staring at Hayami. Her breath left her and she almost stopped walking. Almost.

Move, dammit! Keep walking! They aren't staring at you, you are fine!

She reached the stage and took her first step onto the stairs. She felt the color drain from her face with every step. Hayami reached the man in a black and white suit that held her rolled up diploma. He offered his hand to shake, and she did so. He quickly handed her the diploma and muttered, "Congratulations."

Now she had to act. All of the other graduates were taking their seats in front of the stage on metal fold out chairs, waiting to have to listen to a full three hours of speeches and other nonsense. But not Hayami. She walked directly past the row of chairs where she was supposed to sit and briskly made her way back to the waiting area. From there, she found her way out of the convention center and into her car, which seemed to happen in an overwhelming blur.

She sat in her car for a moment and closed her eyes. It was over. No more college. No more. No more.

After she regained herself, she drove her way back to her house. The door was unlocked, and she was pleased to see Chiba waiting on her couch. He had already changed out of his graduation gown and into his usual clothes, which consisted of a dark T-shirt and jeans, his blue hoodie thrown over.

"How did it go?" Chiba asked.

"It went," Hayami responded. "I'll be right back. Is everything you need already packed?"

"Yeah," Chiba answered.

Hayami went into her room and got out of her graduation gown. She hung it in her closet despite her desire to burn it. She changed into a dark blue shirt and black jeans and threw on her gray jacket. She grabbed her bright red suitcase and met with Chiba in the living room.

Chiba was already buying an Uber for the both of them. A quick conversation about Chiba's ceremony passed the time until the Uber driver, Haru, pulled up in front of the house. Chiba and Hayami grabbed their bags, locked up the house, and went outside the greet the driver.

"Ryuunosuke, right?" Rose asked.

"Yes, that's me." Chiba nodded.

He got in the passenger seat and Hayami got into the back seat. There was some small talk about everyone's day, but besides that, it was an awkward and quiet trip.

They finally arrived at the airport with about twenty minutes before their flight. Hayami and Chiba got out of the car, thanked Rose, and walked into the airport.