New Town, New Name Time

It wasn't too bad of a flight, considering that Hayami nor Chiba had ever flown before. Despite the few people standing in the middle of the isle or the annoying assholes who decided to be as loud as possible, it was actually a pleasent experience.

After exiting the airport, Hayami and Chiba were struck with a shocking realization: Las Vegas isn't all it is said to be.

This time, Hayami called the Uber. They were in the parking lot of a small doctor's clinic, as Hayami decided that it would be safer than to wait outside the airport. Soon enough, the driver, named Scott, picked them up and was driving to the location Karasuma had specified.

Hayami looked out the window at Las Vegas. It was very different than Japan in almost every way. Everything from the trees to the roads to the building style was different. There were homeless scattered along the streets and under bridges.

And the people were very different. In Japan, everyone was really shy and polite. In America, however, people were rude, extroverted, and loud. Pretty much the complete opposite of Hayami.

But she loved it. Something about the new, unfamiliar city was refreshing and brought a surge of excitement, which was uncommon for Hayami. She showed indifference on her face, but inside she was burning with curiosity.

Hayami glanced over at Chiba. His eyes were hidden by his hair, but the wonderous look on his face was obvious. He must have felt her looking at him, because he turned his head and swept a piece of hair out of his eyes, revealing a small part of his left eye. Their eyes met and stayed that way for a moment.

"This place is.. Different. Interesting."

Hayami nodded in agreement. "Yeah.."

She looked away and out her own window. They were driving through a nicer part of town. The houses were big and beautiful and varied in styles, and they were more spread out. She realized, to her disappointment, that they were leaving town.

The moment the last house passed, she realized how unnatural Las Vegas seemed compared to the bleak desert. It was green and filled with roads and buildings and so many people. The place was totally artificial. But then Hayami realized that most things these days are.

The next ten miles out of town were very uneventful, until the car passed through a metal chain link fence and reached a road barrier, where a small building waited on the side of the road. And who stepped out? Irina Jelavic.

She waved at the car and when it stopped and tapped on the window. Scott rolled down the window and looked at her expectantly.

"Hiya! I'm here for these two." She waved cheerfully at the driver and pointed at Hayami and Chiba.

"May I ask why?" Scott asked.

"No." Irina smiled as the two ex-college students climbed out of the car.

Scott shrugged and thrned the car around, heading back into town.

Irina and Chiba made small talk, while Hayami watched for the armored vehicle that was to pick them up. It soon arrived, and Hayami found that Aaron was driving again.

No one spoke as the car drove another five miles into the empty desert. Soon, a large gray building caught Hayami's attention. It blended almost perfectly into the pale sand. In fact, the only thing that gave it away was the few black tinted windows, the small parking lot, and the chain-link fence which surrounded the building.

After unlocking the gate and parking, Aaron and Irina led the two younger adults into the building. Despite the few cars in the parking lot, it was absolutely teeming with activity.