Action Time

(Just a warning in advance: This chapter contains blood and mild violence. Nothing too detailed or gory, but it's still nice to know beforehand.)

Hayami's POV.

"Ready?" Karasuma asked, eyeing his squad that consisted of Karma, Hayami, Chiba, and two others named Cara and Alex. Cara was a few years older than Hayami and had long, black hair and narrow features.

Pretty, thought Hayami.

Alex was in his late 20's and had green eyes and a buzz cut. Everyone in Karasuma's squad was wearing standard tactical gear, and Cara, Chiba, and Karasuma each had large backpacks that held anything from grenades to guns to hacking equipment.

The squad's orders were to let the other three tactical squads secure most of the building, while Karasuma's squad was to find and capture the cartel's leader.

They were currently at a small door on the back of the main building that was hidden from prying eyes by several stacked shipping containers. One could only guess what was in them.

Hayami nodded. She was trembling as she was clutching her handgun. She had another gun, a sniper rifle, slung over her back and several knives stashed in her boots and jacket and belt.

The rest of the group nodded, careful to make as little sound as possible. Hayami saw that despite his emotionless face, Chiba was also trembling. They exchanged a glance, and Chiba gently squeezed her shoulder, an act of reassurance.

Hayami shakily smiled and inhaled deeply as Karasuma picked the lock and kicked the door open.

Surprisingly, nothing happened. The squad filed in and found that another squad, most likely Irina's, had already cleared this part, including the only upper floor. Now, the only direction they had to go was down.

Karasuma took the lead, while Karma watched from the rear. They crept through the barren, echoey concrete hallways until they found a metal stairwell that led to another hallway directly under them. The squad ran down the steps as quietly as possible into the new hallway.

Five men were waiting.

Adrenaline shot through Hayami's veins as she quickly examined their faces. They all wore greedy, terrifying smiles and held assault rifles.

"Go!" Karasuma said as he shot at one of the five men.

Then, all hell broke loose.

Bullets whizzed past Hayami as she aimed her gun and fired. One of the men fell, and Hayami was filled with both horror and a cruel pleasure.

Karma and Karasuma took down another three men while not getting shot, and Cara and Chiba watched the group's back.

Hayami took down the last man with two bullets. She paused, panting, and stared at the dead men.

"..Is everyone okay?" Karasuma asked.

"Yes, sir." Hayami muttered. The rest of the group reported back. Surprisingly, there wasn't a scratch on anyone.

"Good. Move forward! You'd better get used to this, because we're gonna be here all day!"

The group reloaded their weapons and moved forward. At the bottom of the stairwell, Karasuma ordered the group to split up.

"Alex, Karma, and Hayami will take the left, where they came from. The rest will follow me. We will meet again back here when this floor is clear." Karasuma paused before adding, "Don't get shot. That's an order."

Hayami glanced at Chiba. He seemed reluctant, but he obviously wasn't about to disobey orders. He nodded hesitantly before they parted ways.

Chiba's POV.