Familiar Time

"That concludes this meeting. You are dismissed, " Karasuma finally said. Everyone was quick to leave the room besides Karasuma, Hayami, and Chiba. Neither of the college students had ever been to such an important meeting, so they were unfamiliar with the procedure for after meetings. Chiba stood up.

"Er, Karasuma?"

"Ah, Chiba. Yes?" Karasuma turned to face Chiba.

"Well, uh, when does this whole thing
start? Like, when will we be going to America?"

"Two weeks."

Chiba looked surprised. Hayami bolted up from her chair, and they shouted in unison, "Graduation is in two weeks!"

"I understand that, but there is nothing I can do. It is already set. "

"But sir, I don't think you understand. We have to attend," Chiba said.

"If it is that important to you, you will work something out like adults. Until then, you two should get familiar with one another. You will be working together a lot soon enough. Aaron will be waiting for the both of you downstairs. " Karasuma picked up a fat folder bound in leather and calmly walked out of the room.

Chiba and Hayami exchanged an awkward look before Hayami finally said, "Long time no see. How has college been?"

Chiba smirked. "A living hell. I assume the same goes for you. "

Hayami nodded, choosing to continue the awkward conversation. "Yeah. I am studying to be a businesswoman. You were going to be an architect, weren't you?"

"Yeah." He got up and held the glass door open for Hayami. She followed him out and they walked downstairs together. "It was hard. Half of the time I wasn't sure if I actually wanted to pursue that career. But then I thought, 'Oh hell, I already take the right classes, so why not?'"

Hayami nodded. "When I first left high school I wanted to be a lawyer, but the first time I was actually put into a court room for jury duty, I realized that the job seemed boring and shitty upon seeing them in action. So yeah. My dad was a successful businessman and he taught me a few things, so I decided on following his career. "

"Hey, I know you have told me before, but didn't your dad own that one major college textbook store? Called Genius, right?"

Hayami lightly laughed. "Yeah, that's the place. Genius Bookstore. Believe it or not, I had to pay full price for my textbooks and the guy at the register ripped me off, so I ended up paying even more. Those damn things are expensive."

"Yeah. For a chunk of processed wood with ink on it, they sure are expensive. "

They reached the door that lead to the parking lot behind the building and met Aaron there, waiting with his arms folded. He almost looked like one of those beefy security guards that are on American cartoons.

"Did you decide on where each of you are going?" said Aaron.

"Ah, well-" Chiba started, but Hayami cut him off.

"Yeah. My place. You remember where it is, right?"

Aaron nodded and ushered them out to the armored vehicle.

Chiba's POV
Hayami and Chiba sat in the back of the armored vehicle, Hayami talking to Aaron about how the Ministry of Defense worked and each person's role. Chiba wasn't paying as much attention to what they were saying as he was to watching Hayami. He noticed that she still had all of her little quirks, such as how she twiddled her thumbs and bit her lip. He even noticed how she was lightly tapping her foot, which was one of her signs of nervousness and anxiety.