Chapter 5: Solus

(Y/n) was silent.

So far down in the ocean the sunlight is a soft diffuse glow. Those once golden rays from above are only blue in this water; and the deeper lonesome survivor swims the less light can penetrate. The rocks are now silhouettes in the dim. The light from (y/n)'s headlight dies quicker than the heat from a winter campfire. From time to time, (L/n) is surprised by a lone fish, invisible until it enters the feeble beam.

"Main objective : Rouge Cradle sample.

Closest Location: Grassy Plateaus Caves."

In the depth of 200 meters, (Y/n)'s eyes focused on the path below her/him as they approached the cave systems. In search of the Rouge Cradle, the (gender) was determined as ever to craft the hatching enzyme.

Down hear (Y/n)'s senses are altered; the sounds are lazy and the lights are gentle. The adult Human swoop down toward the sandy bed below. Somewhere here is treasure of amethysts, gold and many different minerals who shone under the purple bioluminescent Jellyshroom. So far, no sign of any Rouge Cradles.

"Alien structure found nearby. Scans indicate the cache lies within these cave systems."

'An alien cache nearby? That means there's more Precursor data somewhere.' (Y/n) kicks deeper, feeling the pressure of the water against her/his suit. Above them the purple glow of the Violet Beaus becomes more dim, more distant.

The piping above the entrance to the Cache lead to the entrance of this Precursor structure. Taking few minutes to swim by and placing a Purple Tablet, (Y/n) achieved an easy access to enter.

"Huh... this place is much smaller than all of these facilities." - mumbled (L/n). And they were correct ; this wasn't a facility, it was a room-like structure with Smaller tanks containing samples of local Fauna, Flora and Corals. This antechamber consists of a series of data hubs, each adorned with an ion cube. At the end of the chamber, (Y/n) found a Precursor data terminal.

"This terminal contains data mapping the complete biological history of a member of the alien species. The dataset is hugely complex, but some basic facts can be reconstructed."

"A Precursor biography? Neat."

"Was grown from seed 1,708 earth years ago. Separated from broodlings early for special training. Inducted into temple of research as the youngest ever initiate, age 96.

Relocated to 4546B for high priority disease research. Contracted kharaa bacterium. Stored in Sanctuary 3, corporeal body safely disposed."

(Y/n) widened their eyes. Their brain formulated no thoughts other than to register the information he/she just received. "Youngest ever - 96 years old?! What the- Just who were These Precursors?!"

What fascinated (L/n) the most is how did they look like? So far, they had no clue about their biological forms, but this Data gave a hint. Nonetheless, (Y/n) continued scanning the small tanks with different organisms, her/his mind is still wondering about the Aliens.

"1,708 years ago? Jeez, That means their life span can be-"

"Rouge Cradle seeds found."

"Wot."

(Y/n) stops to take a sharp breath. While scanning the tanks aimlessly, the scanner tool found the ingredient that she/he was searching for. And indeed, a Rogue Cradle sample was openly presented in front of the human. With The plant in their hands, the adult (Gender) swam outside back to the cave systems. The sample consisted of a glowing yellow bulb, enclosed by a dull-red cage. Emitting a warm light, (y/n) had to admit it looked very familiar to Earth's cage fungus - Clathrus ruber.

"So... that Precursor 'Contracted kharaa bacterium' too. And was disposed."

All the while, (Y/n) was gazing off wondering about the Precursor data that they read. It's interesting to wonder, where are they now? Little did the human knew, a snake like creature, with two large fangs, was springing out of a Jellyshroom.

From behind, a Crabsnake stealthy attacked (L/n).

                    "AGH..!"

(Y/n) glides down to the Aquarium as if their limbs no longer functioning, as each movement is a negotiation rather than an order. Everything hurts now. The injured human winces to swim down , heading to meet the Sea Emperor Leviathan, but the Giant Creature is already under them, the top of its head is gently reaching for (L/n) to grab on.

'You are injured.' - they spoke. Their voice is engulfed with sorrow and worry. (Y/n) was on top of the Sea Emperor's Head, while the Leviathan slowly lead her/him to the sand bed. 'You must not risk yourself for me. I worry about your being.'

"Ha... I had worse. Besides, I promised to check on you everyday." - Behind the masked smile that (Y/n) wears on their face, there is sadness and pain. They anxiously look at the Sea Emperor Leviathan. And the Alien Spesimen does not blame them for being unreasonably afraid.

'I still worry about you, very.'

"I'm alright... i promise. A Crabsnake grabbed my leg, but I managed to flee. Luckily I had a medkit. Now I just wait for my leg to heal slowly."

'I am with you. You mustn't force yourself onto danger.'

The ache is a dull. (Y/n) lays there, just to the side of the right shoulder blade. He/she bends against the will of her/his joints to scoot close to the Leviathan. Following instinct, the passive Emperor rubbed their head at the tiny Survivor, with sadness. They deeply cared for the human creature,and they couldn't bare seeing them in such state.

"Thank you... you know. But I have good new, i think very soon you'll be able to see your children...and," - (y/n) whispered "I found something about the Precursors. The natives."

Providing (Y/n) with warmth and support, the Sea Emperor Leviathan didn't move. Just hummed in curiosity.

"How... did they look like?"

'They are being with precise objectives. They came from the stars far up in the sky, capturing anyone in their way. They are careful, and yet, they were cold. They never swam with the current.'

"They were...cold?"

'Every being needs a harbour, a secure attachment of love - for without one we are in such pain, so lost. Then life becomes a torture we are expected to endure.' Four cyan eyes locked with (y/n)'s (eye-colored) one's 'That is something they could never have, but you do. Were it not for you, my good friend, there would be no relief, no hope for me.'

"Woah..." - mesmerizingly, the (Gender) survivor was awestruck by the Leviathan words. Perhaps he/she didn't know how exactly those aliens looked like, but he/she grasped on the idea of their behavior. Sheepishly, (L/n) replied - "Well, heh, I would be lost if it wasn't for your guidance too."

The Emperor said no more, their head lolls to (Y/n)'s shoulder. Clasping each other in a warm and luxurious hug, they let the human rest. The Leviathan's chests rising and falling with each breath, keeping (L/n) in safety and calming of the storms in her/his heart. Together, they both stayed still, alone on this dying planet.

"A Rouge Cradle sample has been collected."

___________

Sorry for the wait as usual. Hope you enjoyed it!

But seriously tho, I really wanted to see those Precursors in Subnautica. What do you guys think of them? Thanks for reading.