16th

Yuzuru Hanyu lands 2nd in Olympics after painful attempt of 4A
February 17, 2018, Saturday
Article by: Cristie Smith

Yuzuru Hanyu lands 2nd in Olympics after painful attempt of 4AFebruary 17, 2018, SaturdayArticle by: Cristie Smith

Yuzuru Hanyu of Japan awed the audience in his short program yesterday, receiving 104.53 as his total score. However, little did anyone know he had been thinking of dropping the 4A bomb in his free program.

The Sochi gold medalist had attempted to do a quadruple axel in the second half of his program, replacing his original 4T-3T combo. The arena went crazy as they witnessed the skater jump. While managing to land the legendary quad axel, Hanyu stumbled a bit and seemingly grazed his other foot on the ice, making it hard for the judges to officially ratify the jump.

It was then noticeable that the Japanese had difficulties after landing the jump because he almost tripped doing his cross step and struggled with the next 3A-2T combo. Hanyu also replaced his 3S with a 2S in his 3A-1Lo-3S. In close up footages, it can be seen that Hanyu was wincing in pain everytime he lands a jump, making his fans' hands clasp in prayers.

Known for his strength and willpower to succeed, Yuzuru Hanyu endured the program until the very end, earning the applause and respect of everyone in the arena. He placed second overall next to Spain's Javier Fernandez and went to the podium with the help of Javier himself, together with the bronze medalist Shoma Uno.

"He is currently being examined by the doctors more further," Brian Orser said in an earlier interview. "But they said he may have a small fracture in his foot and a strained ligament in his right knee."

"I really hope he will get well soon." Javier Fernandez commented. "It was really brave for him to do the quad axel, really brave. I literally jumped out of my seat and cheered. But I also hope this injury does not greatly affect his career."

(A/N: sorry everyone pls dont hate me love u all)