Chapter 4

"A Perfect Dream Breeds Terrible Nightmares"
○------------------------------------------------○

MORGAN STANDS before me with the rest of the team, a tired look on his face as I struggle to explain my reasoning for being out of bed.

"I was discharged, I'm good to go!" I chirp, grinning like the cheshire cat.

"Correction, you discharged yourself," Rossi replies, raising a furrowed eyebrow.

"Guys, come on, I can't just lay around in a hospital bed, I'll go crazy!" I huff.

"If I even see you look like you might be in the slightest bit of pain, you're off the case, got it?" Hotch sighs, looking pointedly at me.

"Thanks Hotch, you're the best!" I chuckle as the others roll their eyes at his leniency.

As we stroll out, I realize it's still dark out. As we make our way to the new cars, I realize Spence has made his way beside me.

"Do you want your jacket back Spence?" I question softly, looking to him quizzically.

He shakes his head, but doesn't reply to the question I posed.

It's then I realize that I am receiving the dreaded silent treatment from him.

It stays that way the whole way to the hotel and as we make our way to our room. He disappears inside the bathroom and soon, the rattling of the water pipes is the only sound to fill the room.

Sighing, I start to tape my papers for the cipher on the wall when it hits me as to what the cipher is.

Scrambling across the room and ignoring the aching tug of pain in my back, I examine my copy of the notes.

"YES!!" I yell and start to write out the cipher key.

"Nat?" Spence calls out from the bathroom, albeit a bit worriedly.

"Oh, so now you're talking to me," I reply halfheartedly.

The water switches off, leaving me once again in silence as I work.

I sigh, but continue on with my work until I have the message written out.

The first note when worked out reads simply, With me the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Bravo- Alpha- Romeo- Romeo- Yankee.

My eyes flicker over the message and I decide to decode the second message before getting any farther.

With the cipher already laid out before me, the next note is much easier to read.

Thought you might get farther? I'm not daft, but I will give you a head start, unless you want the bomb to go off? I will raise you a date of the 5th at 09:00, but you are on your own for where I put it. Time's ticking...

My eyes go wide and I quickly pull up the calendar on my phone, wincing when I notice the date for today.

At that moment, Spence exits the bathroom, barely offering me a glance.

"Spence, I cracked the cipher, but I have bad news as well," I start, my eyes stuck on the clock that reads 11:00 p.m.

"And what's that?" Spence questions suspiciously, peering over my shoulder at the paper.

"He's striking again, tomorrow morning," Spence sighs, yanking out his cell and dialing a number.

"Correction Spence, she's striking tomorrow," I correct him just as a voice floods through the phone and into our silent hotel room.

"Talk to me," Garcia's sleepily sighs, making me grin.

"Garcia, run a search for women ages 25 to 30 in the Suffix area with any sort of military or law enforcement background, also include any women who have any family with the name of Barry," Spence rushes, pacing the room.

"Garcia, also make sure to note any write-ups they have for problems with authority," I add, running a hand through my still sooty hair.

"I've got three names, and I've just sent them to your tablets," Garcia replies.

"I'll go wake up the rest of the team," I sigh, not liking the idea of waking Morgan.

"Don't worry, I'll take care of that, head down to the cars and we'll be down in a minute," He replies with a small smile, knowing very well how much I hate waking Morgan.

I don't argue and instead, I make my way to the cars, this time checking for any bombs.

Just before I can get in, I notice someone running towards me from across the lot.

"Oh thank god you're here Agent Wilde!" Jillian huffs as she nears me, stopping to catch her breath.

"What's wrong Jillian?" I question, my fingers dancing silently and unnoticed in the dark to my gun strapped to my thigh.

"I wouldn't do that agent," Jillian croons softly, exposing her own gun in the warmth of the parking lot lights.

Just before I can make my move, something whacks the back of my head and renders me useless as I crumple to the ground like a rag doll.

Through the swirling colors, I can just barely make out the familiar form of a large man.

"Chief?" I murmur just before the pain becomes too unbearable and I pass out.