Chapter 22

"I Think There Is Something Broken In Our Generation; There Are So Many Sad Eyes On Happy Faces"
○------------------------------------------------○

THE AGENT FROM the front desk, Sarah Damon, nervously flicks her eyes to her handcuffed hands as I enter the interrogation room.

"Hello Sarah," I smile sweetly, plopping down in the seat across from her.

She turns her head away quickly and avoids my eyes. I take the moment to pull out a photograph from the folder on Sarah.

"He threatened you; didn't he?" I question, sliding the photo towards her.

The photograph depicts a smiling woman with doe eyes and a small, beaming toddler.

These are Sarah Dawson's weak points; as the subjects in the photograph are of her daughter and granddaughter.

"Please, just let me go!" Sarah pleads, her eyes welling with tears.

"Sarah, your daughter and granddaughter are safe; they're actually here right now," I try to reassure her.

"You actually think they're safe here; they aren't safe here, not when she's still out there!" Sarah explodes.

"She?" I question, although not really surprised.

Sarah realizes her mistake and quickly shuts down, refusing to speak or look at me.

"Well, if they aren't safe here, I guess I'll have them sent home; we have a press release in about an hour anyway where we're going to discuss our leads and you just so happen to be a lead Sarah," I explain, making my way towards the door.

"Promise me you'll keep them safe?" She whispers.

I nod and she deadpans, "Turn off the camera,"

I oblige and give Morgan a thumbs up through the glass, noticing the blinking red light go dim in the corner of the room.

"She came to my house; we had been talking online and I finally wanted to meet her; I felt as if she was the one," Sarah sighs, looking down at her feet.

"So you arranged to meet this woman after you met online romantically, correct?" I reiterate.

"Yes, I kept it a secret from my daughter and everyone else because I didn't know how she would respond, which was a very bad idea in hindsight," She muses.

"Sarah, did you get her name?" I question, jotting down a few notes.

"Yes, she said it was Cady Heron," Sarah replies and I freeze for a moment.

"Did she, um, by chance, have red hair?" I question.

"Yes; how did you know that?" Sarah asks quizzically.

"No particular reason; continue please," I smile gently, hovering my pen over the paper.

*Time Skip*

I stroll out of the interrogation room and plop down on a chair in the control room beside Morgan.

"What was that about, you froze up when she said Cady Heron; do you know her?" He questions, looking quite perplexed.

"The unsub used a movie character's name as her pseudonym, and like the unsub, she also has red hair," I reply, tugging my fingers through my now knotted hair as I think.

"What movie?" He questions.

"Mean Girls; Cady Heron is a homeschooled girl who finally gets to go to high school, but while trying to take down the Queen B in school unwittingly becomes the Queen B essentially," I explain, scouring through my notes.

"Right here; Sarah basically described our unsub as a narcissist; she also mentioned that the unsub gifted her expensive gifts so she has access to some sort of money," I sigh.

"Ok, so what do the victims have in common then?" Morgan broaches as we make our way towards the rest of the team.

"Government; we had a Senator, Director Of The CDC, and the FBI was targeted as well," I offer.

"What did you get from Dawson?" Hotch questions.

"The unsub was using the pseudonym Cady Heron, was around 40-50 with red hair and a narcissistic personality, involved romantically with Sarah Dawson and gifted her expensive gifts," I blurt out, trying to make sense of the information.

"What does our unsub have in common with a movie character?" Hotch questions, his brow furrowing.

"Oh my god, you've watched Mean Girls!" Emily exclaims, her lips curling into a smile.

"And he profiled every character; why do you think I don't let him watch movies with me anymore?" Garcia laughs, tapping away at the keys on her computer.

"Isn't there a redhead down in IT?" Spence questions, cocking his head slightly.

"If Shelly is a narcissist, she hides it well," I chuckle.

"I wasn't referring to her; I was talking about Cadence," Spence replies.

"I know every face in IT and there has never been a Cadence, boy wonder," Garcia pipes up.

"I'm pretty sure there is; she said she started last week and fixed my tablet when it started acting up," He replies.

"Garcia; can you look through the employee roster for the IT department for Cadence?" I question.

"Already way ahead of you!" Garcia exclaims.

"There is a Cadence Foyer, and she just started last week, just like Reid said," Garcia reads off incredulously.

"She's been hiding in plain sight!" I yell, awestruck.

"If she is a narcissist; she probably thinks that we won't figure her out," Rossi muses, looking like he has more to say.

"What are you thinking Dave?" JJ questions.

"If she thinks she's so clever, why don't we keep her thinking that?" He replies.

A/N:
I just read my book over and realized how many red haired unsubs I've had! And by the way, I'm imagining Angela Bassett as Sarah Dawson because Angela Bassett is honestly a real life queen! Ok, so we're getting closer and closer to the end of this book, which I am hoping to finish up by Thursday! Don't forget to comment and vote! Thank you once again for the reads! Peace out!✌