Bonus Chapter

"Reliability In A Time Of Great Necessity Is Always A Wonderful Quality
○------------------------------------------------○

THE INTERCOM CRACKLES to life and a monotone voice commands, "Dr. Wilde to Trauma One, Dr. Wilde to Trauma One".

"Ughh, I just started eating too!" I groan, tossing my barely touched apple in the trash as I hop off the stretcher I'm perched on.

"Don't bring an apple then next time, bring something you can shove in your mouth like I do," Rachel; our plastic surgeon; chides, taking a large bite of her cheese stick.

I roll my eyes jokingly and jog out into the hallway, yanking on my jacket as I make my way through the clusters of people.

"Where's the fire?" A voice questions as I notice someone jog to keep up with me in my peripheal.

"Trauma One, you heading there too?" I question Garth, a cardiothoracic surgeon and also one of my best friends here.

"Yeah, I was hoping I might leave tonight though," He groans as we twist through the halls.

My pager chirps suddenly on my hip in unison with his, and we give each other a knowing look.

It reads simply, Code Orange.

My eyes widen and I stop dead in my tracks as I turn to Garth, slack jawed.

Before I can say anything though, the message is repeated over the intercom.

"What the hell; we've never had one of these before!" He exclaims, his eyes widening in slight panic.

"Calm down Garth; we need to get to Trauma One and do our jobs so take a breath and let's go," I reply, grabbing his arm and pulling him into Trauma One.

I instantly wish I hadn't as I notice the influx of panicked patients crowding into the fair sized room, obstructing my view of the front.

"Hey Carrie, what's going on?" I question the nurse on duty, my eyebrows furrowing in confusion.

No one in this room looked to be in direct need of my assistance, as none of them looked to be my speciality.

"Uh-you were an FBI agent once; right?" She questions shakily, peering up towards the front of the room.

"Yes, why do you ask?" I reply, standing on the tips of my toes to gaze over the heads of the patients.

"Because, I'm pretty sure this is a hostage s-situation," She stammers, pushing her glasses back up her nose as sweat trickles down her forehead.

She points at the situation and I finally see it. The reason a Code Orange was called of all things.

A Code Orange is reserved for staff members in immediate danger, and a gun being pressed to the forehead of the Chief of Trauma, Dr. Hawthorne, definitely constitutes such a code.

The gunman is calm, just sitting there in a plastic blue chair with Dr. Hawthorne staring up at him defiantly.

I yank out my personal cell and duck behind the nurses station as I punch in the number of the people I trust most to get us out of this mess.

"Hey, Hotch, I've got a huge problem I was wondering if the team could come out and solve," I whisper gingerly into the phone.

A/N:
Thank you so much for the reads and votes!!! I'm hoping to add either a part two to this book or to create a sequel in a separate book when I get the time so keep your eyes peeled!
-Sierra B.