F I F T E E N

Breaking Brielle

Chapter Fifteen

Not Edited

~ Brielle Clark's POV ~

"Do you want this uhm- this red thing?"

"That's called a twizzler, Matthew" I laughed.

It was the beginning of winter recess and I invited Matthew over to work on our English project. It was his turn to ask questions but somehow we got side tracked by a documentary I was watching about the zodiac killer. And now we were just chilling in my room, eating candy while watching some marathon on ID. 

"Yeah, do you want this twizzler?" He asked and I shook my head. "Okay good"

"Why did you ask if you were going to eat it?" I laughed.

"I dunno. I wanted to be polite" He shrugged.

"Matthew Preston? Polite?" I joked and he rolled his eyes.

We continued watching TV for a little longer before Matthew got bored and started going through my stuff. I didn't really have anything important so I let him.

"What's all this crap?" He started digging through an unpacked box of mine.

"My mom's stuff" I climbed over to him.

"Oh sorry" He mumbled.

"It's fine. Wanna watch some home movies?" I asked while grabbing some tapes out of the box. "I think these were my dad's"

"Sure" He shrugged and I got up to set up the VCR I found when I first moved in here.

The first video was at a football game. Aunt Marilyn was recording it with... what seemed to be my other aunt... Crystal.

"Who's that lady?" Matthew asked.

"My dad's sister, Crystal" I said.

"I guess you don't like her" He raised his eyebrow at me.

"She tried to convince me that my mother caused the accident that killed my father" I squinted at the woman in the video. "Over some money that I've never even heard of"

"What do you mean?" He asked.

"My parents got married in Vegas after they won some money. Dad died a few months later and Crystal thinks that Mom caused it to get all the money. But I've never seen any money" I sighed. "We lived in a crappy 1 bedroom apartment in a terrible neighborhood. Mom worked full time until she got sick and I worked a part time job at a deli. We didn't have any money"

"Hey, it's okay" Matthew stared at me and I nodded.

"I know. Let's just keep watching the video"

I realized the video must have been recorded during my parents sophomore year because Matthew's parents weren't in the video and my parents weren't captain of the cheerleading/football team yet.

The entire video was just my mom doing her cheer routine and my dad playing football. Most people would get bored but I didn't. I had never seen my parents together or even this happy.

"Give me a kiss Kenny" Dad's voice said as Aunt Miriam brought the camera down to the field.

"Get away from me you jerk" Mom stumbled away from Dad and everyone laughed in the video.

I actually got choked up. I had never heard my Dad's voice before...

The video ended and I got up to put another one in. This one must have been recorded Freshman year because Matthew's parents were in it.