S E V E N T E E N

Breaking Brielle

Chapter Seventeen

Not Edited

~ Brielle Clark's POV ~

"Did you hear?" Margaret and Harper ran up to me as I left my fitness class.

"No? What happened?" I furrowed me eyebrows.

"Matthew and Jackson just got into a fist fight in their Spanish class" Harper said.

"What?? Why?" I asked wide-eyed.

"Rumors are saying that it was over you" Margaret grinned.

"Don't smile! Jackson is in the nurses office and Matt just got suspended!" Harper scolded.

"He got suspended?" I asked.

"Yeah. Apparently he just leaped over his desk and started punching Jackson in the face. Everyone was so shocked that no one tried to stop him for a full minute. When they did, 2 of Jackson's friends pulled Matt off and Matt just turned around and punched one of them" Margaret explained.

"How do you know all of this?" I asked.

"Oh! I'm in that class" Margaret said.

"And I was in the dean's office when he got suspended. It was only, like, 5 minutes ago. So he's probably still outside if you want to find him" Harper said.

I said goodbye to them and quickly made my way outside of the school to find Matthew. I rushed down the steps and turned the corner, ready to pull my phone out and call him but I stopped short.

"What do you think you're doing?" I stomped my way over to him.

"Smoking?" Matthew mumbled. "Stop" I grabbed the cigarette out of his hands on stomped on it.

"Give me the pack" I said sternly and he stared at me blankly. "Okay fine"

"Stop!" He yelped as I stuck my hands in his pockets searching for the pack of cigarettes. "Brielle. You can't just-"

I pulled the pack out and dumped them on the ground before stomping all over them.

"That cost me 12 dollars" He frowned.

"And it could cost you your life" I squinted at him.

"So what? I don't care if I die" He snorted.

"I care you- you idiot" I poked him hard in his chest. "You're my friend. I like you. I can't lose another person, okay? You don't get to do that to me. I understand that you don't like your life but I like you. I like being your friend. I've lost my mother and my father. I'm not losing my best friend too"

Matthew stood there with wide eyes just staring at me.

"I'm sorry" He said after a few minutes of silence.

"You should be" I huffed. "Why did you fight Jackson?"

"I don't feel like talking about it" He leaned against the gate.

"So what do you wanna do?" I asked and he raised his eyebrow. "I left school to check on you and I don't feel like getting detention by going back in"

"We could go do something" He nods. "I just don't want to go home right now"

"Wanna go check out my house?" I asked.

"What?" He asked, confused.

"My new house. The one my mom left me" I explained.