T W E N T Y T H R E E

Breaking Brielle

Chapter Twenty-three

Not Edited

~ Brielle Clark's POV ~

Matt and I never talked about that night. We spent 2 weeks avoiding each other before one day I decided that I would just sit at his table at lunch and act like nothing happened. And he went along with it. We are our food, talked about random things and went to class like usual.

After 2 weeks of that everything went back to normal. Well, as normal as things could get. He wasn't flirty anymore. He was back to 3 smiles max a day. And he looked tired again.

The bags under his eyes were darker. He was getting worse. And my heart would break every day that he would come into school looking worse.

I got a phone call from Mrs. Preston a few days ago. She had asked if everything was okay with Matt because he wasn't talking much at home.

I didn't know what to do. It had taken me months to get him to open up. To feel comfortable and now he's worse than before.

"You two are coming with us" Harper stopped in front of Matt and I's lunch table.

"What?" He mumbled.

"To the Viewpoint Carnival. You two are comimg" She grinned.

"I don't like carnivals" He grumbled.

"Don't lie to me. You love the Viewpoint Carnival. Summer, Eric, Marilyn, Anthony and you would go every year and the rare times you guys would take me, you would be on a sugar rush from all the cotton candy and be booking it from ride to ride" Harper snorted.

"Who said you could talk to me?" Matt squinted at her, reverting to his 'fear me, I'm Matthew Preston' ways.

"I've never been afraid of you Matt. I just respected that you didn't want friends. And you obviously have friends now" She gestured towards me and I glared at her.

He stared at her coldly for a few minutes before she sighed.

"I'm not afraid of a guy who peed on my, my little pony sheets when he was 8 years old"

"I-I" He sputtered. "Fine I'll come"

"Good" She squealed. "You're coming too right Brielle?"

I nodded and she grinned.

"Good. I'll see you guys tonight!" She clapped and walked away.

I turned towards him with a grin on my face.

"What?" He furrowed his eyebrows.

"You wet her bed when you were 8?"

"Brielle" He said seriously.

"Yes?"

"Shut up" He said and I burst into a fit of giggles. When I sobered up I saw a light smile on his lips. "You're really annoying"

"But you love me" I joked and he mumbled something under his breath. "Huh?"

"Nothing" He shook his head with another smile.

The rest of the day went by slower than usual. All I could think about was that I would be hanging out with Matt after school today. Of course, we've hung out dozens of times before but not recently. I missed him. I really missed him.

"Pinky promise you're going to come?" I asked as we walked into the parking lot after 8th period.

"Mhm" He nodded.