Temples

I bet you never thought you'd see the day when I actually wrote a chapter in this book. I edit chapters and provide graphics for this account, but I think it's time I contribute a little more, don't you?

Oh, yeah, and I bet you also thought you'd never see the day when a modern psychedelic act got recommended in this book. Well, believe it or not, that time is here, folks.

Temples are, like I said earlier, a psychedelic group formed in Kettering, England in 2012 by James Bagshaw and Thomas Walmsley. The group consists of lead vocalist and guitarist James Bagshaw; Adam Smith, the rhythm guitarist, keyboardist; their bass guitarist as well as backing vocalist, along with Smith, Thomas Walmsley; and lastly, their drummer Samuel Toms.

As of writing this, they have two albums to their name, both are which are entirely self-produced: 2014's Sun Structures and 2017's Volcano. The former has more of a rock influence, while the latter is more poppy. If I had to choose, I'd say prefer their latest release, as it's a bit easier to listen to than Sun Structures, and it sounds gorgeous.

This band has been compared to numerous acts before them: The Beatles (I've seen James Bagshaw's voice get compared to John Lennon's, and that comparison holds some weight), Pink Floyd, etc. Although Temples are far from being just a nostalgia act. I repeat: Temples are far from being just a nostalgia act. Their lyrics are intricate and intriguing, and the melodies that drive their songs—especially on Volcano—are stunning.

I'd say their most popular song is "Shelter Song," seeing as it has the most streams on Spotify. However, the lead single from Volcano, "Certainty," along with having a delightfully strange video, has had some traction as well.

There is no question which song of theirs is my favorite, though: without a doubt, it's "Mystery of Pop." Seriously, if you don't find me dancing to this song or clapping along whenever it plays, I must be in a horrible mood.

Some of my other favorites of theirs are "The Golden Throne," (the first song of theirs I heard) "Strange or Be Forgotten," "I Wanna Be Your Mirror," "Test of Time," and "Mesmerise."

I think that's it for now. Seriously, check these guys out if you have the time. Sorry if I may have included a bit too many songs while mentioning favorites; they're that good, I tell you.

- Claire