chapter one

Diana Blossom was perfect

Diana Blossom was perfect. Despite family ties. Veronica watched at the shorter girl as she stood behind a taller red-head, who she now realized was Cheryl Blossom as she spoke about their brother Jason. However, Veronica wasn't listening, her focus was on the girl with bouncy curls and pink lipstick and a dress. She had a look that said she was more simple than Cheryl was. Less dramatic. It spoke volumes to her. As the assembly came to an end, the rest of the day until lunch came quickly.

As Veronica approached the table that held Kevin, Betty, and Archie, she heard the beautiful music. "Is that you singing?" She asked the red-headed boy as she sat down. Betty looked at him fondly and Kevin grinned widely as he blushed.

"It's rough." He answered. The two had met whenever Archie and Betty were discussing their summer at Pop's. So, he knew was new because when he saw her, he was baffled by her beauty, and he also felt the need to talk to her. And so he did. "So, hows your day been going?" He had asked her softly, Betty and Kevin making eye contact with each other, hoping he wouldn't make a move on the girl. For Betty it was her happiness, for Kevin it was his ship. He needed it to go strong.

Veronica sucked in a breath, trying to find the right words for the explanation she wanted to give. "I mean, it's okay, but I thought that people would be more..." She wanted to think longer of what she wanted to say without making it seem like she was the rich bitch she used to be and obsessed with having people like her.

"More obsessed with you? Any other year, you'd be trending number one for sure, but this year is all about Cheryl and her act as a bereaved widow. Her sister however isn't really into the attention. She likes to be more humble." Archie was listening in on Kevin until he saw Cheryl and Diana walking over. Diana looked to be a bit nervous and shy while Cheryl was walking with only a confidence an egocentric girl would have. While Archie bolted, Betty and Kevin discussed that Betty still hasn't asked him to the dance before quickly becoming quiet.

Cheryl walked over, placing her hands on her hips, Diana held her hands together behind her back behind her sister. "Veronica Lodge, we've heard whispering. I'm Cheryl Blossom, and this is my sister Dianna Lee Blossom. Stop looking at her like that or I will fight you." She smiled sickly sweet, noticing how the Lodge was admiring he baby sister like a prize.

Diana looked at Veronica, confused at her, but a small smile appearing on her lips. "May we sit? Cheryl just wants to talk to you. She makes it a mission to know everyone at Riverdale High." Diana looked at the grass, as if nervous to sit next to the raven-haired girl. Even though Veronica and Kevin were already making room for her, and Cheryl just pushed Betty over slightly. It was a two person bench, so Diana was on edge until Veronica pulled her closer so she wouldn't be.

"So, what are you three hens gossiping about? Archie's Efron-esque emergence from the chrysalis of puberty?" Cheryl asked, making Diana roll her eyes for her sister's must-know obsession with gossip and everyone's business. She saw Betty shake her head slightly, and looked at the ground, knowing about the blonde's crush.

Veronica then spoke up. "Extra curricular activities, actually." She said, making Diana's eyes light up. "Weatherbee wants me to sign of for a few." Diana looked at her sister, silently begging her to ask Veronica to join the River Vixens, knowing she would get her way in the end.

Cheryl saw her sister's eyes, and knew that she couldn't not be falling into it. "Cheerleading, you must. I'm senior captain of the River Vixens. Diana is also on the cheer squad during first semester, but second semester, she plays for the girl's basketball team." Cheryl explained. She noticed how close they were, and noticed how her sister was enjoying the moment with an almost complete stranger.

"Basketball and cheerleading, what don't you do?" Veronica questioned with a flirty smile. Only to be interrupted by Kevin before she could further her comment into a definite yes since Diana would be there on the team as well.

"Is cheerleading still a thing?" Kevin asked and saw a visible slump in the only nice Blossom and immediately regretted it, but just wanted to annoy Cheryl. I mean, come on, it was Cheryl.

Cheryl shot back fire when she saw her sister slump. "Is being the gay best friend still a thing?" She glared before looking at Veronica. "Some say it's retro, I say it's eternal and iconic." She shrugged, reach over to gently take her sister's hand, but Veronica had already done that to comfort the now relaxed and calm girl. She was a master of flirting.

"At Spence, I sat on top of the Elites' Pyramid. I'm in." Veronica let go of Diana's hands and looked at Betty. "Betty, you're trying out too." Veronica announced to Betty who smiled softly, but Cheryl looked at the blonde in dismay.

"Well, Betty already has so much on her plate right now, but open to all." Cheryl said, standing up. "Let's go Diana, you know the living mannequins get desperate after being this far away from us after a long amount of time." Cheryl looked at her sister, waiting for her to stand, but all she did was take her sister's spot.

"You go, I'll catch up." Diana smiled gently, and Cheryl nodded. "A few things, Betty, I believe in you and Veronica you look like you have great moves, so teach her well. Another thing is also to Veronica. The school dance is coming up and I have no date and you're new, so we could go together if you would like?" She looked down. "But, I mean, you don't have to, of course."

Veronica smiled sweetly. "I would love to go with you." She accepted. "Thanks for inviting me." She nodded. Diana reached over holding her phone out for Veronica to put in her number before catching up to Cheryl.

 Diana reached over holding her phone out for Veronica to put in her number before catching up to Cheryl