chapter two

So my whole chapter erased, and I had to start over... There was almost 1000 words here.

Diana smiled in encouragement as the girls in front of her cheered, loving the extra enthusiasm from Veronica as she cheered happily

Diana smiled in encouragement as the girls in front of her cheered, loving the extra enthusiasm from Veronica as she cheered happily. Diana looked over to her sister to see if she was as impressed as she was, but was very disappointed to see she wasn't. Wondering why, she returned her attention to the raven haired girl and her blonde companion.

Cheryl sat up, looking at them intently. "Ladies, where's the heat? Where's the sizzle. Just a reminder, I need fire on this squad." Cheryl said and Diana had to hold back from saying that the fire on the squad was all of Cheryl's useless drama and criticism, but she was too nice. She just rolled her eyes at her sister before returning her attention back to the girls, wondering how they would get an idea of some sort to woo her sister.

"Well," Veronica gently grabbed Betty's arm, "you haven't seen our big finish yet." She looked at Betty before whispering something and the two kissing. Cheryl passed over the clipboard to Ginger before raising her brows and Diana just let her eyes widen in shock. For some reason it hurt. She barely knew Veronica, but it already hurt to see her with someone else. Especially with the girl her family had a feud with. Not that she disliked Betty, but still.

"Check your sell-by-date, ladies." Cheryl said when they parted. "Faux lesbian kisses haven't been taboo since 1994. But, perfect transition to our interview portion of our try-outs." Cheryl spoke loudly. This confused Diana. Since when has there been an interview portion. What was her sister planning?

"Betty," she addressed the blonde with smeared pink lipstick, "how's your sister?" Cheryl asked her causing Diana to start to realize what her sister was doing. She glared at Cheryl slightly, stiffening up noticeably. Deep down, she was wondering why her sister had to be this way and meddle in other's people's business. It wasn't hers to go through like a closet.

Betty looked on at the red-headed diva confused. "Uh, Polly's fine, thank you." Betty said softly, looking at Diana, noticing that she was glaring at her sister. She then knew what was going on and why Cheryl was asking questions. Her hands went to the side as the questions proceeded.

"Veronica, did Betty tell you about her sister?" Cheryl looked over at the raven-haired girl, raising a perfectly plucked brow. Veronica replied with a no, also noticing how the atmosphere switched and the younger sister glaring at her older sibling before looking down, heated almost. "Go ahead, Betty. Tell Veronica about your sister and my dear brother." Cheryl looked back at Betty, waiting for the blonde to talk as her nails began to pinch at her palm.

"Jason and Polly dated." Betty told Veronica before Cheryl had scoffed. "I wouldn't say dated." Cheryl commented on Betty's explanation tapping her manicured nails on the sides of her chair. Betty shook her head slightly before continuing. "It didn't end well." She finished and Diana looked at the blonde, feeling awful about this.

Cheryl nodded slightly, thinking of her next question. "In fact," she began quickly, "Jason is probably the reason your sister had a breakdown and had to go to the group home. Right?" She let her eyes narrow further, almost as if trying to kill Betty with a look.

Diana sighed loudly. "Cheryl, what does this have to do with cheerleading?" Her face matched her hair almost, looking at her sister angrily. She hated seeing the blonde hurt. Veronica looked at Diana, wanting to smile proudly at the way she tried to save Betty, but the tension in the room was still too thick.

"No, Diana, it's okay." Betty smiled gratefully at the girl, before looking at Cheryl. "That's what my parents think." She emphasized parents before looking at the ground slightly, noticing how all eyes were on her now. She wanted this to be over now.

"But, what do you think?" Cheryl continued. "Go ahead, the floor is yours. Whatever you've been dying to spew about Jason and how he treated Polly, unleash it. Destroy me. Tear me a new one. Rip me to shreds. Annihilate me." Cheryl pressure Betty was he fists clenched more, tears at the palms of her skin now.

Betty's hands unclenched as Veronica looked at her shoes slightly. "I just..." Betty finally let out and Cheryl slouched back slightly. "Finally," she whispered quietly, waiting for the further explanation. "I just wanted to say I'm sorry about what happened to Jason. I can't even imagine what you... and Diana... and your parents... What you're all going through." Betty said, causing Diana's heart to to tighten slightly since it has been very hard.

"Right. Veronica, welcome to the squad. Betty, better luck next time." Cheryl said causing both Veronica and Diana to perk up angrily while Betty stood there, saddened. After everything, you would think Cheryl would be able to realize that Betty is also going through a lot. But, of course not. She doesn't like to think about others.

"Wait, what? Why?" Veronica looked at Cheryl, straightening up. "Because you couldn't bully Betty into being a bitch?" She asked, her eyebrows furrowing. Diana smirked slightly, noticing that Veronica was about to spice things up a bit.

Cheryl looked at Veronica. "I need girls with fire on my squad." She stated simply, slightly surprised the new girl was standing up to her new cheer captain. No one stood up to Cheryl Blossom, even though they normally wanted to. Instead, they cowered from her secret evil powers of dictatorship.

Veronica had to calm herself a moment before continuing. "I know what you need Cheryl because I know who you are. You would rather people fear than like you, so you traffic in fear and intimidation. You're rich, so you've never been held accountable, but I'm living proof that there will be a reckoning. That certainty and entitlement you wear on your head like a crown, won't last. In fact, maybe that reckoning is now. And maybe, that reckoning is me. Betty and I come as a matching set. You want one, you take us both." Veronica stated. "You wanted fire? Well, sorry Cheryl Bombshell, my specialty is ice."

In the end, Betty was let onto the team thanks to Veronica's persuasive comments (and an extra word from Diana). Veronica was zipping up Betty's uniform when Diana joined the two. "Looking good, ladies." Diana said, sending a wink to Veronica as Betty turned around, smiling slightly before catching Veronica's attention.

"Why did... Why did you defend me?" She asked Veronica a bit nervously. "I know the crowd you ran with in New York. Why are you being so... nice?" Betty questioned as Diana looked on awkwardly, but before she could slip away, a hand gently took hers as if to tell her to stay.

"Maybe, I can talk to you on a walk. Like the three of us can hang out?" She asked softly, but Cheryl's voice called for Diana's to hurry up since she was about to leave. Diana squeezed Veronica's hand softly. "I obviously can't now, but hey... I'll text you. Oh! And I'll see you at the dance." She pulled her hand away, grabbing her backpack from the floor and catching up to Cheryl.