One.

Amelia knew, sat there in the kitchen, that she was fucked. She'd been caught, for the first time ever, stealing from the grocers'. The elaborate plan she devised with her brother had finally failed them. Their father was at work unfortunately, as he was the voice of reason when it came to family arguments. This meant that it would be her and Daniel against their mother.

"Jesus." Daniel whispered under his breath and rubbed his temples as he leans against the doorframe.

"Don't. How did you not see him?" Amelia sighed in reference to Mr Short, the man they'd been thieving from for months, undetected.

"I didn't realise it was him. Really lives up to his name though." He tried not to laugh.

"Stop laughing!" Amelia hypocritically shouted, a large smile on her face. "We're in the shit here."

"I know. We need dad." Dan admitted. The front door slammed loudly, signalling that their mother was home from shopping and indeed furious.

"Here we fucking go." Amelia groaned quietly.

On cue, Darcy Clarkson burst into the family kitchen, armed with bags of vegetables. Her breathing was deep as she attempted to keep her cool when faced with her two law-breaking children.

"Are you out of your minds?!" She screamed. "How dare you!"

"Which question do you want us to answer first?" Daniel chirped. The stern look from his mother swiftly shut him up.

"I didn't raise you like this!" Darcy carried on screaming at her children.

"You didn't raise us at all." Amelia seethed.

"Excuse me?" Her mother was in shock.

"Well let's face it. Dan and I raised ourselves. You were always busy doing something other than caring for us, and dad was always at work!" Amelia let loose. Daniel didn't dare make a noise, although he knew what his sister said was entirely correct.

"You rude little girl." Her mother whispered. "Daniel? Anything to add? Before you both go to prison!"

"She's right. You never were there for us, really.  I was conscripted and you didn't even care." He sighed.

"Get out of my sight. The both of you." Darcy placed her shopping down on the table and dismissed them. "Now!"

Amelia shot up from the kitchen table and shoved past her brother in the doorway. Running up the stairs, she stormed into her bedroom. She flopped down on the bed, a large sigh escaping her body. Daniel popped into her room quietly, shutting the door behind him.

"I've done it now." She chuckled darkly.

"No you haven't. What you said was right." Dan sat down next to her, picking his fingers nervously.

"She's our mum Dan. How could I say that?" Amelia sat up.

"Because it's true! I was shipped off to war at 18 and she didn't notice." Dan was still resentful.

"Well you didn't exactly shout it from the rooftops did you? Christ, I found out from our neighbours." She laughed. "We won't go to jail, will we?"

"I slipped Mr Short 4 bob for him to shut up, so probably not." Dan shrugged.

"4 bob? Fuck,we won't eat for a week then." Amelia snorted.

"I'm going to bed." He stood up and stretched.

"It's 8pm. It's not even dark Dan." She scoffed.

"It's 10pm. It is dark you've just got the lights on. Dad's working late tonight." Dan ruffled her hair before disappearing off into his own bedroom.

Amelia lay back down in her previous position. She wasn't upset nor angry, just feeling particularly empty. Her words had spilt out before she could stop herself, it was terrifying how true they were. It was always Dan, Amelia and dad. Her mother resented the fact she wasn't a prissy girl, she much preferred disassembling rifles with Daniel over doing needlework with her mother.

Despite mocking her brother over his early night, she could feel her limbs becoming heavy with tiredness. Her eyelids slammed shut as her body gave in, falling into a sleep.

If it wasn't for the loud noises, Amelia would've slept through the night. She woke however at 3am, still lying on her bed fully dressed as opposed to in it. Tuning herself in and ridding herself of drowsiness, she picked up on her parents' heated conversations.

"They're thieves Jack! How can we live with them?" Her mother's distinct voice echoed around.

"Darcy, just leave it. We'll deal with it in the morning." The exhaustion was noticeable in her father's voice.

"Absolutely not! I can't stand that girl. How we produced such rude children I'll never know." Her mother snapped.

Amelia quietly got off the bed and tip toed to the bannister in the hall, leaning over it to hear better.

"There's no other options left. I'll find someone suitable for her. And he'll have to go back to the army." Darcy rambled.

"No!" Jack interjected. "I won't send him back."

"Why not? They're 21 now, they can handle themselves."

"Because when that boy came back from war, he cried from a week straight. He couldn't hold anything down, he even vomited water. He was 18 Darcy, he saw things no man that age should have to see." Jack and Amelia's hearts hurt at the thought of Daniel after the war. He was catatonic for days, then when he came out of his odd state, all he did was bawl. It took him 4 months to leave the house.

"Fine. But she's got no excuse." Darcy defended her decision.

A large sigh was heard from her father, and then the sound of a whiskey bottle being opened.

"What use is marrying her off going to do?" He asked.

Amelia was sure the world stopped turning for a split second. She didn't need a husband. She didn't want a husband. She felt ready to faint, or vomit. Something like that.

"She'll learn she's not in charge all the time. Sometimes you just have to get on with it." Darcy continued.

"I know a man." Jack sighed again.

"Good. You can talk to him in the morning." Darcy's footsteps approached as she climbed the stairs.

Amelia ran back into her room and threw her clothes off, hurling herself under the covers and facing away from the door. Her father also came up the stairs, both him and his wife retreating to bed. Soon, silence filled the household, occasionally broken by a snore from Dan. Amelia was left with her thoughts.

She was getting married, and had absolutely no way out.

a/n: it's up! a bit of drama for the first chapter. if you're here from my michael book, hello again. if you're not, feel free to check it out! x