Twenty Six.

It had been weeks since John was last inside the house. Exactly true to her words, he's got out of her house and left her to it. On the surface, she acted like it was a good decision, but underneath she resented herself for letting him go.

Amelia was beyond stressed. She'd gone back to work whilst trying to balance kids and her mother was trying to butt back into her life. Her kids pined for their father every second they weren't with him. Also, she was still not fully recovered from the alleyway incident, and she'd picked up a bizarre habits of using soap three times when washing her hands to make sure they were perfectly clean and scrubbing her body twice in the bath before she could get out. Dan had tried to pitch in as often as he could to help out, as did Sarah. But nothing was working.

The poor girl was at her wits end.

It was now a Friday evening, with only the fire and candles illuminating the room. She was tidying up the living room exhaustedly, giving up on putting the toys away and resorting to kicking them under the sofa.

She collapsed onto the mound of cushions and shut her eyes for the first bit of peace she'd had since 4am that morning. A whole 18 hours of mania.

Of course nothing good lasted forever in the Shelby world. As soon as her eyelids shut, knocking was coming from the front door.

"Who is it?" She yelled, her body too knackered to get up.

"It's me, Michael." The voice called from the other side of the wooden panel.

"Come in." She sighed and sat up properly.

Michael came into the living room looking ready and dressed up for a night out. His suit was impeccable and his hair was freshly styled. He truly looked a fine young man.

"Wow, look at you!" She beamed.

Michael had become like a younger brother to her and Dan, they took him under their wing. Michael also felt indebted to Amelia for helping him discover his true family and he looked up to her as the sister that he'd lost.

"Look, I came round to ask you out." He smiled, before it quickly dropped as he realised what he'd said. "To my birthday drinks. At the Garrsion. Right now."

Michael was officially an adult now, 18 years of age.

"I dunno Michael. It's been a long day." She sighed.

"Come on. One drink that's all I'm asking. Then you can come back home." He persuaded her. "It might cheer you up a bit."

Amelia took a long moment of reflection as she weighed up her options. There was only one thing holding her back from going. John.

"Who else is going?" She inquired.

"The usual. Tom, Arthur, John-"

She cut him off with a knowing look of despair.

"I know, but please. I am the birthday boy." He cheekily grinned.

"Fuck it. Go on then."

In a matter of mere minutes, Amelia had gone from slouched on the couch to confidently strolling up to the Garrsion with Michael. Her arm was linked with his and her heels were giving her added height and confidence. Knowing John would be there, she glammed herself up completely.

"It's going to be so awkward with him." She mused.

"It's probably not him you need to worry about." Michael admitted.

As they turned the corner, the eye of the storm herself Polly Shelby was stood waiting by the doorsteps for them. She took a long drag from her cigarette as her gaze focussed on Amelia. All the confidence Amelia had had now dissipated into nothingness.