Chapter 1

Maybe Tomorrow: Part 1

Meeting:

A drop of rain fell, telling Ryeowook to open the umbrella in his bag. He took it out and held it over his head. As he walked to school in the loud rain, he thought about ditching. Maybe he should. Just turn around and never show up. But he couldn't do that. He was a good student and couldn't afford to miss a day.

He passed other students as he walked by. They were jogging and running, quickly trying to get to school and out of the rain. Some groups of girls tried to squeeze under one umbrella, fast walking to the building. At one point, he saw a boy and his girlfriend sharing an umbrella. They walked to the building happy to have each other. Ryeowook would've loved to share his umbrella with someone. That was a silly thought. No one would ever love him.

Alone, he slowly walked on the campus grounds and up the stairs. He put away his umbrella before walking inside to go to class. Dragging his feet down the hall, he debated that this was his last chance to book it and go home. Maybe lie and say he was sick. Still, his feet continued to drag his body down the hall and to his classroom. He walked in, seeing half the class already seated. He quickly made his way to his seat. The middle of the room, with no one ever wanting to sit next to him.

Please, he thought. I just want this day to end.

__

Two classes later. Each lasted an hour. Why must they be so long? The day started with math. Math was easy, which only made him earn a few laughs from the group of boys in the back. Next was English. He tried his best, but his English really wasn't any good. As much as he studied, he always failed the speech test. Literature was next. It was boring, but he did well. The teacher just went on and on.

"May my love become an alder tree... Like a spider's web around a butterfly, like the vine that goes around the tree. Though, in the heart of winter, we bear wind, rain, snow, and frost, could we ever be apart?"

Why must it be a love poem?

"This was written by Yi Chongbo. Can someone interpret?"

Ryeowook, who knew exactly what it meant, stayed silent. This poem was about love. How would he know what he's talking about? He had no right. Then there was the next poem. Someone asked to read it out loud. Ryeowook recognized her immediately. It was Kim Sungah. She had many friends but wasn't known as popular. She was nice and very beautiful. She had big round brown eyes, golden blonde hair, the desirable small-round face, and pearly white smile. It was someone he had no chance with. Sungah began reciting the poem while Ryeowook stared at his desk and listened.

"Don't mock a pine, twisted and bent by the winds. Flowers in the spring wind, can they keep their balance? When the wind blows and the snow whirls, you will call for me."

Her soft voice was like music to Ryeowook's ears. It took him a second to realize that the entire room was completely silent. He lifted his head to see everyone in confusion. His eyes fell on Sungah, and it became obvious that she had been staring at him. He couldn't believe it. Her eyes were directly on him. But why? After what seemed like forever, the group of boys in the back began to laugh. It was funny that a girl was staring at him. So it must be a joke. Ryeowook sunk into his chair, completely embarrassed and uncomfortable. What had he done deserve this?

Throughout the class, Ryeowook tried his best to relax and figure out how to turn invisible. His eyes would always end up turning to Sungah. Sungah would constantly turn her head and stare at him. Did he have something on his face? Why did she keep staring? Was she still staring? Yes. Every time he checked. Why was she staring?

Eventually, she turned her head away and ignored him. What if she wasn't really staring at him? What if she saw something through the window and was looking at that? That had to be it. Girls never stared at him.

Lunch eventually came, and thankfully, the rain stopped so they could eat outside. Ryeowook sat on the school's steps, away from everyone else. His two friends were busy waiting on line to buy snacks, snacks he couldn't afford. He sat eating his rice and kimbap. The day was nice so far. Not the actual day, just the weather. Besides the rain shower this morning, it was a nice spring day. As he sat minding his own business, a pair of legs standing in front of him caught his eye. He looked up and saw it was Sungah, holding two croquettes. A pretty smile was on her face as she looked at him.

"Hello." She sounded so sweet.

Ryeowook, confused as to why she was talking to him, ducked his head, trying to hide a growing blush on his cheeks.

"H-Hello." He responded nervously, unsure of what exactly was happening.

"May I sit?" She kept the sweet smile on her face.

He looked up at her, totally confused. Did she want to sit next to him? All he could do was nod his head yes. She sat next to him and handed him one of her croquettes.

"I bought you one. I thought we could share them together." She smiled.

He took the croquette and awkwardly bowed his head to her.

"Thank you." He couldn't even look her in the eye. What was happening? Why was she talking to him? Did she buy him a croquette? Why so suddenly?

She unwrapped hers and began chewing. He watched from the corner of his eye, thinking she looked absolutely adorable with her cheeks stuffed with food. Especially with that sweet bright smile on her face. It made her eyes sparkle. He awkwardly unwrapped his and bit into it. She turned her head and looked at him.

"Good?" She asked him, her cheeks stuffed with croquette.

He nodded his head yes and gave her a thumbs up. For a quick second, he took in all he could looking at her. Kim Sungah. Her hair was the most beautiful long golden blonde. It reminded him of the story they read in elementary about the small man who spun the straw into pure gold. There was a constant rumor that her hair was dyed, so the teachers didn't like it. But since she was such an innocent girl and a straight A student, they never bothered her about it. Her eyes were slightly big and round. Bigger than his at least. Her skin was very pale and fair, and he thought she looked very cute in the school uniform.

"Why are you so red?" Sungah suddenly asked.

"Oh. It-It's because of, the sun." He ducked his head down to hide his face.

"So the sun only makes your cheeks red?" Sungah looked at him.

"Y-Yeah." He replied, keeping his head down. He was surprised when she began to laugh. "Why are you laughing?"

"Because," She giggled, "You're so cute."

Ryeowook? Was someone saying Kim Ryeowook, was cute?

"H-How am I, cute?" Ryeowook awkwardly bit into his croquette as she giggled more.

"You're so shy, awkward, and quiet. You blush like an idiot then lie about it. You can't even realize when a girl is staring at you."

Ryeowook turned his head looked at her. All she did was smile at him.

"Come on let's go." Sungah stood and held her hand out to him.

"What?" He looked up at her confused.

"You want to leave, don't you? Come on, let's go."

Wow, how did she know him so well? He slowly took her hand and stood. Easily, they left the campus.

"Wh-Where are we going?" Ryeowook asked as she continued to hold his hand.

"Wherever makes you happy." She replied.

"Wherever makes me happy?" He repeated.

"Yes!" She grinned. "Come on!"

She pulled him onto the bus and made him sit next to her. She smiled at him and looked out the bus window.

"So. Where to?"