10. Confession

Chapter 10

She ponders upon her life while inadvertently rolling the tip of pen into her mouth. Her eyes are set onto the white board where professor is attempting to demonstrate something to class via key. She was interested when the lecture began, but in middle, her attention slithered over the terrifying tenure of her life.

Does she deserve the way she is being treated? Accepting Arnav's love has shove her in the pit of shame. She is secreting her face, her existence from her dad and Dada Jaan. Though they are off the beam yet she has her head bowed low.

The character line of a girl character is resilient until it is not hit. Once, it is, the line turns as frail as the cookies.

Her heart heaves as she relives the agony she has gone through last night after eavesdropping the family conversation. They were signing happy songs about Owais, his success and charming persona. She has developed deep-rooted loathing for this mere name. She does not want to be called Khushi Owais at any cost.

To solace her heart, she childishly assumed that they may be taking her merciless exam on her sin of accepting the love of Arnav.

Her calming assumptions can never be true though.

Today, in night, the Tanveer family is certainly going to be at her doorstep for the final talk because last evening her family had went to see Owais, his home. They seem pleased with the alliance.

The time of hope is very bit left. Owais has a foreign job offer and his parents want to send him with his bride. Such caring parents!

Her confidence about her natural gender strengths and Islamic rights is suppressed under family pressure. She is incompetent to fight the trap she is locked in. She would never be confident enough to voice her denial for the proposal of Owais and risking the honor and reputation of the family which nurtured her with supreme affection.

Why did Arnav genuinely fill her mind pious woman's values? More than anyone else, he has been playing his role in her good brought up. She will always stay inept to pay him gratitude for not only shaping her as a virtuous lady but also as a good human being. He told her to not go fragile on the name of feminism. Resultantly, she has the reverent passion to fight for others but when the highlight is focused on herself, she has fallen pathetically weak.

From whom she would fight for her rights? From her parents who nurtured her with affection and tenderness? She is bound to her values. The vexed part of this situation is... would she able to breath if today she gets to wear the ring of Owais's name and given the gifts of Shagun.

Her loyal breaths will possibly cease.

"Khush..." Her friend jerks her out of lost state. "Your roll number is about to come." Tania tries to bring her in daylight, informing about the roll call. This professor marks absent if you don't answer your own roll call.

She meekly tells her present at her turn and quickly zips her file, register and pen in bag.

"I am tired and there is no class ahead. I would prefer to sleep." She jokes cheek-kissing her friends and departs from university at the start of midday to ignore the questions. Since morning, they are irritating her to the edge to tell the reason of fallen face and puffy eyes. She needs escape from their questions.

Igniting the engine of her Honda Accord, she aggressively hits the pedals and speeds the vehicle on road. The sun is blistering and shining exquisitely. So unlike her life.

Her wish is being crushed under the patriarchy. She does not understand why her family has this stupid tradition. What bad can happen if she marries Arnav? She wants to be his bride only.