23. Murder (Last Chap)

So, here is the SURPRISE; The Last Chapter!

Chapter 23

Completing her prayer, Khushi undrapes the shawl to treat her soaking hair. She came back from university almost on time due to sudden heavy rain and high traffic at Friday prayer time. She hurriedly took shower and clipped the dripping tendrils back to prevent intrusion during prayer. Grabbing the already plugged blow dryer, she first dries all the hair and then putting the round brush under tips, she gives them a beautiful curl. She loves this simple yet bomb hairstyle on her. Even her Arnav likes it...

Arnav...

She observes her own reflection in mirror. Despite accepting his apology by heart, she has not yet made any advances to him. Her self-respect aspired to hear the clarification of ego-free espousal relation to cure of her wounded, restless heart. Though there will be a perpetual stain over her self-respect but she can manage to cope up with his alcoholic side. Since that night of apology, she plants a lingering kiss on his forehead while he is cherishing a sound sleep. She required time and courage to take a concrete decision. Even her dear elder sister Aakifah noticed her tension. Though she did not utter a word but hugged her bone-tight when she returned yesterday after winding up one of the most sizzling honeymoons.

"Let bygones be bygones. Look at you. You look... crushed." Aakifah had blurted her observation and advised her to tend herself as a newly wedded.

"Love and marriage are different relations. You deserve time to adjust into it." To be honest, Aakifah died million times spotting the wrought face of her beloved sister. To help her, she not only styled her hair but also prepared her notes. Her all jealousy has thinned out as now love resides in her heart. This bonding of affection passed on relief to the elders of both families who were tensed noticing the strained hearts between sisters, especially Sameer Hamdani.

"Khushi –" Aakifah halts in her tracks to praise her sister. "Now, you look lovely." She boosts her morale up. "Lunch's ready. Come quick with your macho husband." She teases Arnav who devalued his office to pick his wife from university and later Grandmother strictly forbade him to drive back to office in dangerous weather. Luck! He merrily joined elders for Friday prayer at nearby masjid.

"Bhabhi..." Arnav acknowledges the tease while explaining the alternatives of his absence to assistant on phone.

Aakifah giggles before leaving out. "Would you be free tonight?" Arnav asks, anticipating a dedicated time with her. He is displeased about the delay but she picks the oblivion impression from his suggestion. It emphatically pricks her. Tomorrow will be her last exam of graduation. Can he not wait till then? She is not the one to keep grudges for long but first she and now her career has gone insignificant for him. Humiliating!

"We should join others on lunch." She curtly recommends and he nods, trailing behind her.

It irks her more and she rolls eyes to curb harsh words. Despite their differences, she would refrain from disrespecting him. So what if he staggered from his pledges, she would never trail his footsteps in love. She had vowed herself to pay him highest esteem and she will stand true to her words.

She stops to wait for him and when finally, he halts beside her, she effortlessly slips arm in his. Then they pass by the corridor meeting steps with steps. Spouses should face everything together in the journey of life. Neither should be ridiculed whole life for one mistake.

He scrutinizes her face while enjoying the warmth after ages and he smirks finding only confidence and contentment oozing out of her posture.

He goofily smiles.