Safe Again

"Why are you helping us?" Amara asked Steve when they had safely gotten to the jet. Peter lay on the cool floor, head still on Amara's lap, curled into a ball and coughing spastically. She stroked his sweaty silver hair comfortingly as she talked. "I don't happen to trust John Coulson." Steve answered from the cockpit. "You're just kids." "T-T-!" Peter tried to speak again but coughed up blood. He moaned in fear when he saw it, and Amara felt his body start to tremble. "Hold on, Peter." She whispered.

"Thank you." Amara said as she helped Peter down from the aircraft. "Anytime." Steve answered. "Ear! Professor Alistaire!" Amara screamed as soon as the plane was gone. The Professor and Ear came running-as did half of the school. "What happened?" The Professor asked. "Battery!" A small boy ran forwards and placed one hand on Amara and the other on Alistaire, letting Alistaire see what had happened. "He is worse than before." Alistaire said afterwards, picking him up and looking through his blue eyes at Amara. "Come with me." He said, leading Amara and the unconscious, still-coughing Peter to the infirmary.

"Huh!" Peter awoke suddenly and looked around the white infirmary, wincing suddenly as his stomach growled. He knew he would be sick soon. "Amara?" He called, relieved to find he could speak and breathe. "I'm here." Amara answered, sitting on the bed next to him. "Peter I'm so sorry about that." "It's okay. It's actually the most fun I've had in-" he interrupted himself and groaned. "My stomach...I'm gonna puke..." Amara handed Peter a metal can and propped him up on pillows as he bent over it. "Alistaire said that might happen. It's just an after-effect of the elixir we gave you. Just take it easy." "Urghhh..." Peter gagged and vomited acid into the can, and Amara put a hand on his back. Her blond hair was tied up in pigtails today, he noticed off-topic. "Better?" she asked when he was done, taking the garbage can away from him. He nodded. "A little." Peter gave her a weak smile, but she could tell something was wrong behind it. "Do you want me to stay here?" she asked flirtingly. She blushed fiery red as he answered, "No, thanks." "Fine, then." She tried to keep her tone light, but just like she saw past his façade he saw past hers-he had hurt her.

He dropped off to sleep lonely, confused, and depressed.