two

''You ok, Daff? It looks as if you've just seen a ghost'' Alex jokes while staring at my ridiculously surprised face after making eye contact with that guy. It was the first time I saw him, as the rest of the people in this High School I guess.

''He's probably new'' I accidentally think out loud and then shamefully cover my mouth with my hand.

''Who? That weirdo that just walked in? Don't tell me you're also as spellbound as the rest of the girls in the hallway. Daphne Gibbs, I never thought i would see this side of yours'' He says as the bell rings indicating we must go to class.

''What? Hell no. Let's get to class because now we're late for sure''

Punctuality is not my forte. If there are 5 weekdays i'm late at least 3 of them, and I try them not to be Mondays, because I have Latin class on the first period and the teacher is a total jerk.

Shit. It's monday.

''Sorry, I really have to go now. I'll talk to you later'' I shout as I run towards the classroom. Unfortunately, Alex and I have different schedules and different subjects. He studies sciences and I study humanities. We barely share common subjects, just history and French, so we can only meet properly in break time and lunch time.

Finally I reach my Latin classroom, and before turning the knob I knock on the door. It has a glass, and although it's not completely transparent I can spot the teacher standing up talking to the pupils. I hate this whole embarrassing situation.

I slowly open the door waiting to draw the teacher's attention, but he seems to be ignoring me while the rest of the people is staring at me. Then I cough on purpose hoping he will stop ignoring me and let me in, but it doesn't work. Just when I'm about to turn around and shut the door I hear his voice.

''How can I help you young lady? he asks with sarcasm.

''Can I come in?''

''Yes'' for a moment I'm surprised with his answer. ''In fact, that's what you should do, but at 8.30 am and not at 8.50 as you're currently  trying to do. I'm really sorry but you'll have to stay in the library this entire morning. Don't worry, I'll make sure you don't feel bored because you'll be writing an essay on the perception of time in the Roman society, maybe it'll make you think about yours. I'll be reading it tomorrow''

''Sure'' I say as I'm about to walk out of the classroom.

''Oh, and don't forget to go to the secretary's office first to notify your punishment'' This man is really pissing me off. I then close the door and walk out as soon as possible.

Great. This morning couldn't get better. I'm not the kind of girl that gets in trouble very often. I've only been punished a couple times but it was for the same damn reason. Punctuality.

I finally get to the secretary's office door but I have to wait sitting on the couch next to it because it looks like someone else is in there. After 5 minutes the door is openened and that misterious guy I've seen earlier this morning walks out of the office. He has a frowned expression and is carrying a bunch of papers and documents.

He approaches me and takes a seat next to me. Our thighs are barely touching due to the small place. It's getting a bit uncomfortable so I stand up and walk towards the office door. Although he's now on my back I can feel his gaze through my body. Is he checking me out?

I knock on the door before entering.

''Come in'' I hear a sweet voice coming from the inside.

The High School secretary is Mrs. Tindale. Unlike Mr. Winfrey, the Latin teacher, she is a really nice, kind and helpful woman. I could never be able to hate her even if I was punished. I don't really know why, but she seems to appreciate me a lot.

''How can I help you, sweetheart? She smiles realising it's me.

''Uhm... Mr. has punished me'' I laugh of embarrassment.

''You've been late again?''

''Yeah...''

''Well, then I'll sign your notification''

''Thank you'' I answer as she hands me the document.

''No problem, sweetie''

''Bye, Mrs. Tindale and thank you again'' I close the door behind me.

The boy is still sitting on the couch with his arms crossed defining perfectly his inked arm muscles. I've inevitably been staring at him for a while and now I can't feel more embarrassed.

''Take a picture, it'll last longer babe'' His raspy voice  broke me out of my thoughts. What the hell? Oh my god.

Suddenly he stands up and walks towards me staring directly at my eyes and too close I can feel his heavy breath inches away from me. He's a lot taller than me, and it makes me feel so inferior and insecure i can't even form a coherent word. I was so distracted I wasn't even listening to what he was saying. Shit, he is actually talking to me.

''E-excuse me? I ask with a shaky voice, hoping he doesn't notice.

''Do you have a pen?'' His voice is deep and raspy, probably because of the cigarettes.

''Uhm... yeah'' I take off my backpack and put it on the floor so I can easily grab a pen from the front pocket. I pick one and get up so I can give it to him. For two seconds our hands make contact sending shivers down my spine.

''Aren't you going to thank me or something?

''For what? The pen thing was just an excuse to talk to you'' My body frozes as the words come out of his mouth.

''Oh''

I try to break the silence and fix my last response with the stupidest question.

''Are you new?''

''No, I'm Harry'' I seriously don't now what is going through this guy's mind and If i should laugh at his remark.

''Aren't you going to tell me your name?'' He asks kind of rudely.

''Daff, well, Daphne'' I give him a brief answer.

''Daphne'' The way he pronounces my name in his deep voice gets me goosebumps.

''Why are you being punished?'' What the heck? He has probably heard my conversation with Mrs. Tindale.

''That is none of your business'' I seriously don't need to give him explanations.

''I know. You just don't look like the kind of girl that gets in trouble. Am I right?''

''Can I ask you what makes you think that?'' He's pissing me off.

''I just know''

''Well, maybe you're wrong''

''Sure thing'' I can feel the sarcasm in his words. He is smiling and I can see a dimple at each side of his lips. I would be lying if i said he wasn't attractive. What the hell is wrong with me? Did I just say attractive?

''You're pretty much an asshole'' I produly remark.

''I've been called worse'' No wonder why. ''Well, I guess I'll see you around'' he says.

''Yeah, I guess...'' I say as I start walking away and towards the library. The last thing I want is to continue this pointless conversation so he can keep laughing at me.

''See you soon, Daphne'' I hear him say further away along the hallway.