six

''You should smile more often. It looks good on you''

''Thanks'' I say tucking a strand of hair behind my ear and looking down at the ground.

''I guess we're supposed to get to history class now?'' He says turning his gaze to the timetable.

''Uhm, yeah''

We start walking through the hallways and I can feel all the people staring at us like something weird was happening. Well, in fact, something weird really is happening. Daphne Gibbs is walking to class accompanied by a boy who isn't Alex. Instead, it's the ''new hot mysterious guy'' no one knows a thing about. I can see all those hideous girls I hate looking at Harry with hungry eyes, trying to figure out who he is and how to get close to him. It's like I can read their short minds. The funniest thing is that he knows it too well.

''Here we are'' I say pointing the door in front of us.

The rest of the mornig goes pretty well, Harry introducing himself to all the teachers. He's surprisingly very polite and formal when it comes to talking to older people.

 At lunch time I see Alex sitting alone and Harry and I approach him and take a seat next to him.

''Where have you been this morning??'' He asks me before anyone of us can talk.

''Nice to meet you too, man'' Harry says sarcastically in an attempt to shake hands with him.

''Uhm... Alex, this is Harry. Harry, this is Alex'' I say trying to break the tension.

There's an awkward silence.

''Where are you from, Harry? Alex says.

''Uhm... I've just moved here from England''

''Yeah, what I expected. Nice accent''

''So... are you guys dating or something?'' Harry asks.

''What? oh, no. We're just really good friends'' I clearly state.

''Yeah, what I expected'' He says mimicking Alex's tone of voice.

Alex is starting to look annoyed. I guess it's how you feel when you first meet Harry.

''I'm just kidding, mate'' Harry tries to clarify.

The rest of the lunch is pretty good. We talk about how our life here is and how we hate every damn teacher in this school. We are having a good time until Alex has to leave sooner.

''You probably haven't noticed but that Alex guy has a huge crush on you''

''What? no way'' 

''I mean, just the way he looks at you.. it's pretty obvious. How come you've not noticed?''

''What? How do you know that?''

''Well, in case you haven't notice either I'm a guy. I don't know, we know those things''

 ''I've known him since I was like 4. Don't you think at this point he would have told me?''

''I don't know, maybe he's afraid that you won't like him back? There could be a million reasons for him not telling you. You know? Forget it, I don't even know why we're talking about this shit''

''Whatever'' I can't help but laugh at his absurd theory.

''Anyway, can I drive you home?''

''Yeah, I guess.'' I shyly answer.

Just as we are about to leave a group of three slutty-dressed girls approach us. One of them is Beatrice Lauper, better known as ''Betty''. She's the school's most well known hooker par excellence. She's been insulting me and laughing at me since the first day of high school.