xiii.

Reyna was gripping tightly onto Thalia's waist. Thalia was glad she was facing away from Reyna because her cheeks were positively on fire. They pulled into the little diner's parking lot, and Thalia cut the gas.

Reyna hopped off the back of the bike and took off her helmet. Her face was flushed but her eyes were overflowing with joy. "Too fast?" Thalia questioned.

"Not fast enough," Reyna laughed. She looked up at the bright, fluorescent blue sign that read, "Moonlite All-Nite Diner."

Thalia scratched the back of her neck. "This place is a bit... Odd? Yeah, odd, but they've got great food."

Reyna smiled. "Neat," and the girls walked into the restaurant.

It had an old-fashioned theme with a twist. Like the 1950's got struck with a dash of 2010, but didn't quite know what to do with it and just left it there. The waitstaff wore older-themed clothing as well. It felt like time had stopped for the diner.

Checkered blue-and-white tiles covered the ground and parts of the walls, while the booths were the same blue as the sign outside.

A waiter waved them over to a table and handed them their menus. Reyna immediately started looking at hers, while Thalia was looking at Reyna covertly over her menu. Apparently not covertly enough, because Reyna's eyes swiveled up to Thalia's and she chuckled as Thalia melted into the blue leather seats.

The waiter came back. "Do you know what y'all want?" He had a bored look on as he took their orders. "Burger and fries. Chocolate milkshake. Chicken tenders. Coca-Cola. Is that everything?"

He didn't even wait to hear their answer, just walked away. The girls laughed, a little disgruntled, a little surprised. "Well then," Reyna muttered, still staring back at the waiter.

"Usually they're much nicer than that," Thalia mumbled, hoping that the date wouldn't blow up in her face. "You know, I don't think I could handle having such long hair as yours. I got tired of mine getting in my face or getting stuck on things and I hated having to brush it so I just cut it all off."

"Yeah," Reyna sighed, "Sometimes that seems like the best option." She brushed a hand through her locks. "But I like being able to do stuff with it, like braids or buns or something. Do you have to fix short hair?"

"Sometimes if I sleep in an odd position and my hair ends up bent, but most of the time, I brush the knots out and go."

Reyna put her elbows on the table, leaning her cheek in her hand. "That must be so nice."

Thalia scratched the back of her neck, eyes glancing around the diner. "It is, but like you said, I can't do a whole lot with it." She put up her hands. "And, sweet jesus, I find it hilarious how much Jason cares about his hair. Every day is like a fashion show to him and the world is his catwalk."

Reyna snorted. "Lord, that reminds me of my sister, Hylla."

Thalia titled her head. "You have a sister?"

"Yup, although I don't get to see her much. She's off running some big corporation, I think it's called Amazon.

"Huh," Thalia mused. "What's your home life like? I don't really know much about you, do I?"

Reyna pondered a moment. "Unconventional. My home life is unconventional. You?"

"Unconventional."

"Can I ask why?"

"Only if I can ask the same of you."

The waiter picked an opportune time to ruin the hush-hush atmosphere that took over the pair. "Here is your... Burger and fries," He set the food down in front of Thalia, "Along with a milkshake. And here is the chicken tenders with a Coke." Setting the food down in front of the girls, he left without making sure everything was in order.

"What a strange character."

Reyna nodded in agreement. After a quiet moment, she asked, "Are you gonna tell me why home life is unconventional?"

"Do you promise to tell me about yours?"

"Yeah."

"Home life was weird for me because my dad left when I was really young, and my mom was never really there. Like, there physically, not mentally. She was unstable, and her ego was blown by being my dad's mistress." Thalia shrugged. "I only stayed with her because I knew she couldn't take care of Jason. Then, when Jace was two, Mom gave him up for adoption and I left. I found him in the foster system years later." She didn't realize she was twisting the napkin in her lap, and let it go, smoothing it down. "I'm sorry for getting heavy so early..." Thalia groaned.

"Nah, it's okay. Besides, I'm gonna get deep as well, so..." Thalia gave Reyna little motions signifying to continue. "My dad was an alcoholic, my mom was nonexistent, so Hylla took me to live and work at a spa. Thieves destroyed the place but took my sister and I captive. Somehow, we learned how to fight and we escaped the thieves. Hylla and I parted, and as you know, she became the leader of Amazon, and I became the leader of a camp focused on training scared kids how to defend themselves."

"Wow," Was all Thalia managed out. "You've lived a thousand lives in one, haven't you?"

Reyna only shrugged. "It looks like you have, too."

It's easy to bond when you both understand one another's past. The girls stared at one another, so mystified, trying to glean something from the other's eyes.

"The food's going to get cold," The waiter walked by them, deciding it would be a great time to interrupt.

The girls blushed at one another and started eating.