Chapter 27

Ayame sat in the cell, her hand against her chin. Ibiki and Inoichi has been able to recover her lost memory and had interrogated her although her stubbornness and lack of knowledge about the memory made her appear more guilty.

She had given up on yelling about Iya's betrayal and eventually fell silent. She looked up at the sound of the door opening and met Kakashi's gaze.

"You're free." Jiraiya spoke beside him. He offered his hand to Ayame, the girl looking up. She reached out for it, grabbing a hold of his wrist. She pulled him down to the ground and stood, grabbing ahold of Kakashi's collar. Jiraiya held onto her foot as she glared up at him.

"You betrayed me!" She cried. "How could you?!"

"I️ cared for Iya at the time of the event. You had been gone for months, I had no clue what could have been going through your head at that time."

"You cared for her?! So you trusted her, more than me?!" She yelled. Kakashi looked away, her grip tightening.

"Kakashi!" She yelled as he looked away.

"Ayame!" Jiraiya snapped. She turned, Jiraiya taken aback by the amount of hurt in her gaze rather than anger.

"I'm sorry." Kakashi shook his head as Ayame let him go.

"I tried." She whispered, shoving past him. She nodded to Ibiki and Inoichi before stepping out.

The following days consisted of a lot of reconstruction and renovation. Jiraiya had left with Naruto to find a woman by the name of Tsunade and although Ayame wanted to join them, Sayakah refused to let her go.

Kakashi and Guy had been missing for most of the afternoon, Ayame beginning to worry after a while. One of them was usually around her most of the time (mainly Guy), but to not see neither  sent chills down her spine.

She wandered around as Guy rushed past her and she immediately chased after him. Kakashi had fallen weakly to the ground as Guy leapt out infront of him onto a small lake. Ayame leapt out as well, staring in pure rage at the two attackers who both bore a black cloak with red clouds.

"Itachi?" She growled in confusion.

"Ayame..." he hummed, unimpressed. Itachi turned to his companion. "We did not come here to start a war...come on." The two dispersed and she rushed forward, choking on her words as she knelt down infront of Kakashi who was barely balancing his chakra enough to not sink on the water.

Ayame furrowed her eyebrows and looked up at Guy.

"Go get a medic!" She snapped.

Kakashi was hospitalized along with Asuma and Kurenai, who had also attempted to battle Itachi. Stu k on Itachi, Ayame's curiousity got the best of her and early morning, she snuck out the village. Only Akiko was aware of her reasons, but she said she'd only tell them Ayame went to reinforce Jiraiya.

She looked around warily and bit her thumb, summoning Maiya. She was a cheetah the size of a horse and Ayame leapt up onto her back.

Ayame placed a small cloth to her nose; a bandage she had found in the trashcan in Naruto's room.

"Maiya, find Naruto." She instructed as Maiya inhaled his scent and snorted.

"You're first time summoning me and all I've got to do is find some kid?" She scoffed as Ayame rolled her eyes.

"You itchin' for a fight?"

"Actually I am." She shrugged as Ayame chuckled.

"You'll get your chance soon." Ayame promised her as she looked up.