six

"Shaun, are you okay?" Jayden asked whilst driving, concerned as he looked to the passenger seat where Shaun was seated.

"Yeah, I think so. I just want to sleep," Shaun replied softly, but Jayden could tell that he was lying.

"What actually happened?" Norman then asked.

Shaun fiddled with his seatbelt. "I don't know. I think it may have been something I ate?"

Norman nodded, counting that answer as a possibility. "Well, when we go home, I'll make you some warm soup, okay? I hope you like soup."

Shaun's eyes lit up. "I love soup!"

Jayden chuckled, pulling up along the footpath opposite the house.

---

"Here you go," Jayden put a bowl of soup on the table, in front of Shaun, who happily grabbed a spoon and tasted it.

"It's so nice," the child sang out, making Jayden chuckle at the childish act.

"Thank you,"

"Jayden?"

"Yeah, Shaun?"

"What were you doing so close to where I was? It takes about an hour to get there and you got there in fifteen minutes."

Norman took a breath and sat down on the chair opposite him.

"I was... getting some air." he looked down, realising how blunt he sounded.

"That's what dad did after Jason died... he'd leave at night and come back later around morning. He stopped doing it though, after realising that he didn't want me to stay alone. So, why do you do it?" Shaun finished softly, sipping his soup.

Jayden smiled sadly, "It was just this once. Work's got me all stressed out."

Shaun nodded slowly, trying to understand how Jayden was feeling.

"Come on, kid, let's get you to bed. You can bring your soup upstairs.

---

"Shaun? Where are you?" Jayden mumbled in his sleep, looking over to the child's bed.

"Where the f...?" he trailed off, noticing that his fluffy blanket was missing from his bed. Jayden sighed, getting up to look for Shaun.

He passed the glass door leading out to the backyard, noticing Shaun and gasping.

It was rather snowy today, and Shaun was there on the bench, his blanket draped over his shoulders.

Immediately, Jayden walked out and went over to Shaun.

"Hey... what are you doing out in the cold?" he asked quietly.

"Jason loved snow," Shaun answered softly, hugging himself tighter in his blanket.

Jayden closed his eyes, sighing sadly. "Come on, you'll catch a cold out here."

---

"Do you want hot chocolate? You must be freezing, Shaun." Jayden enquired, pouring some hot water and coffee in his cup.

Shaun only nodded in response before sitting himself down on the dining table. 

After blending together a hot chocolate for Shaun and, after nearly forgetting his own cup of coffee, Jayden walked over to the younger who was now on the sofa, flicking through the channels on the TV. 

"Here you are, Shaun." 

"Thanks. Hey, Jayden?" Shaun asked in reply.

"Yes?"