chapter seven

A/N: goodbye I won't survive this NCT Dream comeback ;(

The two stare at each other in silence, none of them moving an inch. Min Hye's grip on Jaemin slowly loosens as she looks away.

Jaemin is still frozen on the spot.

"Sorry. I..." She pauses to think. "I mean, it's okay if you don't feel the same. Just tell me."

Her statement was accompanied by silence.

Min Hye's heartbeat accelerates as she awaits his reply. She was prepared to be rejected.

But she couldn't take the pressure. "Jaemin?"

"I can't tell you that I don't feel the same." He blurts.

She lets out a soft gasp.

"But Min Hye...I'm not the only one at fault. You said I always turn my back to you, right? Well, you always avoid me. Ever since you realized your best friend's feelings,"

This time, Min Hye silences herself.

"You know, I always wanted to be with you. I wanted to help you, I wanted to do everything I could for you. But you pushed me away, and I didn't know what to do," He cracks a very, very, small smile.

"I'm sorry Min Hye, but I can't reciprocate your feelings...at least, not yet. I need to...sort things out. You understand, right?"

Min Hye purses her lips and nods.

"Thank you," His smile widens, but it didn't really seem real. "Then I'll go now." And with a wave, he disappears around a corner.

Of course. What did I expect? Why did I expect more?

She smiles wryly as these thoughts swirl in her mind.

_________________________

"Jaemin? How did it go?" As he waiting for Jaemin at the school gates, Jeno calls out to him. "Yah, don't ignore me." Jeno says as Jaemin zooms past him.

Jeno grabs onto Jaemin's arm, stopping him.

"You're totally out of it." Jeno comments.

He shrugs his arm away. "I never knew you liked her."

Jeno chuckles. "I don't."

"I heard you." Jaemin turns to look at his best friend.

"I know you did. It was an act," Jeno laughs. "Was it that realistic?"

"...An act?" Jaemin seemed sceptical as he monitors him. "Really."

"Yup. I'd never steal your girl," Jeno grins widely. "So, how did it go?" He starts walking.

"Not as well as you think."

"Hmm...knew it. You don't look very good. What happened?" Jeno asks.

"I have a lot to think about, Jeno." He shoves his hands into his jacket pocket.

"Huh. But your feelings still hasn't changed, right?"

He nods. "It can't go away..."

"Then you have your answer," Jeno says. "Of course, the decision is yours. But don't blame yourself if she gets stolen. Min Hye is quite popular, you know."

Jaemin's lips curve into a smile. "I know."

________________________

JAEMIN:
Hyo Jin ah....

HYO JIN:
Oh, jaeminie?
What's it?

HYO JIN:
I was about to message you too!
It's about the Christmas Ball in school.

HYO JIN:
We're going together, right?

JAEMIN:
About that...
I'm sorry Hyo Jin,
We need to talk.

HYO JIN:
Talk...?

JAEMIN:
Yeah, are you free now?
3:15 at the park.

JAEMIN:
Our usual spot.

HYO JIN:
Sure...see you.

Hyo Jin presses the 'off' switch. Her phone screen goes black and her reflection stares back at her.

She looked...scared, worried, all the negative feelings in one place.

She did expect a day such as this to come. It wasn't a shock that Jaemin suddenly had wanted to talk, anyways.

And so she packed her stuff and slung her bag over her shoulder, kicking off her home slippers and started her journey to the park.

It was a five-minute walk.

Finally, she arrived at the entrance and spotted a familiar silhouette.

With a smile, she jogs up to him and taps his shoulder.

"Jaemin!" He cracks a smile. It looks artificial.
"Why did you ask to meet all of a sudden?"

"...Hyo Jin."

"Hmm?"

"I...am sorry. Whatever I'm going to tell you is going to hurt you. Do you still want to listen?"

Hyo Jin's eyes stopped on his. "What is it?" Keeping up a smile, she asks.

"I...can we...I mean..." Jaemin babbles on and on. Surprisingly, Hyo Jin lets out a sigh.

"You're too nice, Jaemin." She says.

"Huh?" Confused, he frowns.

"You're a nice person. You didn't reject me," Hyo Jin casts her eyes away. "I knew this was going to happen sooner or later. I recall telling you how I thought you would reject me."

"Why are you saying this?"

"Because you want to break up with me, don't you?" She flatly says. Jaemin widens his eyes.

"There's no other way to phrase it. It's the truth, right?" Hyo Jin cracks a tiny smile.

"Hyo Jin..." Jaemin breathes out and averts eye contact with her. He couldn't do anything more than that.

"And so what I'm saying is, that's fine. I was the obstacle between the two of you." Her voice trembled.

Jaemin furrowed his brows and stepped towards her, engulfing her into a hug.

"I'm sorry, Hyo Jin. And thank you. This is the least I can do for you now."

___________________________