01

He squints against the light, groaning and draping an arm over his face. The groan gives away to a cough, rumbling from deep within his chest, and his eyes water. He opens then and tears involuntarily roll down his cheeks.

Before he can reach up to wipe them away, he feels a calloused thumb on his cheek. He lifts his head as much as he can manage, vision adjusting to the light.

"Barnum?" he croaks. He coughs and flinches again.

"Shh, now. I'm here." The older man is seated in a chair next to the hospital bed, seated so closely he could easily reach out and touch Phillip as he'd just done, one leg crossed over the other. His face has been washed, but faint traces of soot remain on his cheeks. His eyes are red.

"Barnum, what—"

"You shouldn't talk," the older man frowns, pursing his lips together. He uncrosses his legs and leans forward in his seat. "You're lucky those lungs are working at all."

Phillip scowls and rubs his threat. "What happened? Where's Anne? Lettie—" a coughing fit. He squeezes his eyes shut and rolls onto his side. His other side is burned, bandaged. The sheets feel cool on his skin through the hospital gown.

"Everyone's fine, Li—Phillip. No one else was in that damn...that damn building. You're safe."

"Anne?" Phillip gasps. The more alert he becomes, the more it hurts.

"She's fine. Everyone's fine. I was just..." A pause that doesn't go unnoticed. "...checking in to make sure you were okay. Get some rest, Phillip."

Barnum stands from the chair and Phillip opens his eyes long enough to watch the older man leave the room. He pauses and turns back to look at Phillip, who squeezes his eyes shut. Barnum mutters something Phillip can't hear, then leaves for good.

Alone, Phillip slowly opens his eyes. Tears blur his vision, but not from the pain.

He can't remember... Why can't he remember?

The smoke, the burning, the pain—

He remembers Barnum lifting him, carrying him out, shielding him from the smoke as much as possible, but—

Why can't he remember what happened before he was carried out of the building?