07

To say Phillip wanted to die was an understatement.

He'd made a fool of himself running after Barnum, only for the ringmaster to - literally - leave him in the dirt. He'd had help, of course, but the thought of explaining exactly why he'd been running after the man embarrassed him to no end. Luckily, his friends were more concerned with whether or not he'd re-hurt himself.

But he still didn't want to show up to the circus the next day.

He'd gotten there as late as he could possibly manage - bad idea, as Barnum was fuming. Face bright red, he spat at Phillip as soon as the younger man walked into the tent.

"Where have you been?" Barnum snapped. Phillip took a step or two back, holding his hands up defensively in front of him.

He'd never seen the ringmaster this angry before.

"You realize we've got a show to perform, right?" Barnum spat. He rose a hand in the air and for a split, terrifying second Phillip thought the older man might strike him.

Tears filled his eyes.

Taking the hand he'd lifted into the air, Barnum scratched the back of his head, mumbling to himself. He was still angry - by the red in his face, that was obvious - but he wasn't going to strike Phillip as he had feared.

However, before Phillip could compose himself, Barnum locked eyes with him. The older man's jaw dropped in shock and his raised hand fell to his side.

"My God, Phillip, are you crying?"

"I...I have to go," Phillip murmured, pushing past Barnum. The older man grabbed him by the arm and he yelped. Barnum dropped his hold, but he didn't have to - Phillip yanked his arm away, holding it as if he'd been burned again. Barnum couldn't see his face - if he could, he'd be able to see the tears now rolling freely down his partner's cheeks.

"I'm sorry, Carlyle, why don't you just—?"

"I'm going to go help Anne," Phillip muttered, marching away.

This time, the roles were reversed - Barnum, the mighty ringmaster, felt confused and alone as he watched Phillip go.