27

Upon seeing him, Phillip jerked away. His eyes widened as he flung himself too far back and fell off the bed, falling on his ass with a thump.

He let out a howl and grasped his side. He curled in on himself.

"Phillip!" Barnum shot up and knelt on the floor beside the younger man. Phillip breathed heavily and flinched away from his touch.

"Get away from me!"

"You're hurt."

"What are you doing here?"

"Who did this to you?"

Phillip squeezed his eyes shut. "Leave me alone you c-coc—"

"I'm not going anywhere until you talk to me, Phillip."

Barnum grasped Phillip's hands in his. Phillip jerked away, but the attempt was weak. Tears welled in his eyes.

"I know you didn't quit the circus for no reason," Barnum whispered.

"You know why!"

"Then tell me, Phillip. Say it. If I'm the reason you quit, tell me now and I'll leave you alone for good."

Phillip stared at him, but didn't pull away. Taking a deep breath, Barnum gently grasped one of the man's wrists and pushed his sleeve up. Bruises, welts, whips from the cane littered his arm.

"There are more, aren't there?" the ringmaster whispered.

Phillip tried to look away, but Barnum used his other hand and laid it against Phillip's cheek, forcing eye contact.

"Did your father do this to you, Phillip?"

Phillip broke.

"Over a pen. A pen."

Tears streamed down his face and he sagged against the older man, wrapping his arms around the man and burying his face in the ringmaster's chest. His shoulders shook. Barnum held him tight.

"He doesn't have to know," Barnum whispered.

"He'll find out."

Barnum tilted the younger man's face up, gazed into flooded eyes. Phillip no longer resisted, though he continued to tremble under the older man's touch.

"If you want me to go, I'll go."

Phillip froze.

"If you want me to stay..."

Swallowing, Barnum slowly leaned forward. Phillip reached up, wrapped a hand around the back of his neck. He closed his eyes as Barnum's lips brushed against his.

"I'll stay."