33

Just as before, Charity greeted them at the door when the men came home.

"Phillip." Her smile was full, but the corner of her lip twitched a little. "It's nice to see you when you're not stumbling around."

Phillip flushed, but he cleared his throat and stuck out his hand. "It's nice to see you too, Charity."

Her grip on his was tight and she let his hand fall after just a moment. Before much else could be said, the sound of bare feet pattered on the stairs.

"Phillip!"

Two little girls in nightgowns flung themselves toward the man at once. Phillip laughed, arms encircling them, pulling them close.

"How are my little ladies doing?" he asked, ruffling Helen's hair.

"Can you read us a bedtime story, Mr. Phillip?" Helen asked.

"Helen—" Charity started.

"Well, of course I can."

"Phillip, you don't have—"

"It's quite all right, Charity. Really. Now...what story will I be reading you girls?"

Caroline giggled as she held up a book she'd been holding behind her back. "It's about a magical dancer!"

Phillip chuckled. "Magical dancers it is, then. Care to escort me upstairs?"

The girls squealed and each grabbed the man by a hand as they pulled him away. Once they'd vanished from sight, Charity turned to Barnum, who was quick to launch into an explanation.

"I only brought him here because I don't want him alone in that apartment. You should have seen it."

"Phin—"

"We can set him up in the guest bedroom, as I've already told him. I will not be joining him, I promise. I wouldn't do such a thing with—" Barnum paused, eyes widening, realizing he'd backed himself into a corner.

"With?" his wife pressed.

"With you or the girls in the house," he finished in a mumble.

"But," she crossed her arms, "you would alone."

"Charity, I—"

Tears brimmed at Charity's eyes, but she blinked them away. "I am trying to be strong because I love you, Phineas, and I appreciate you opening up to me, but I was not expecting you to bring Phillip here. You must understand how hard it is for me, and to keep it from the girls—"

"Of course," Barnum choked. He stepped forward and cupped her face in his hands. "I know, I know, and I'm sorry, but I am telling the truth. I only brought him here because his parents have thrown him into such poor conditions and...well, he gave up most of his fortune to rebuild the circus."

"I understand." Charity placed her hands over Barnum's, interlacing their fingers as she stepped back. "You've always had a heart three times bigger than that of the average person," she sighed.

Barnum's lips curled up in a small smile.

"Now, about sleeping arrangements - do you expect to sleep in bed with me, Phineas?" She dropped their hands.

Barnum bowed his head. "Whatever you prefer, darling," he mumbled. He lifted his eyes to meet hers. "You've already done so much, I couldn't ask for anything else."

Charity nodded. She closed her eyes and took a breath. "You will sleep in the other guest bedroom. Maybe someday we can become normal again, but I can't—"

"You don't have to explain," Barnum sighed. "I understand."

***

That night, the door to the room in which Phillip slept creaked open. Silent footsteps made their way to the bed and sank down. The bed protested with a slight creak and strong arms wrapped themselves around the sleeping man's slim waist.

Phillip startled awake with a gaspy snore, eyes bleary with sleep as he looked over his shoulder. "Barnum?" he whispered.

The older man pressed his lips to the back of Phillip's neck and Phillip sighed. Entwining their legs, Barnum soon settled down into a slumber, arms tightening around the younger man.

Phillip sighed again as he settled back into sleep, holding one of Barnum's hands close to his chest.