43

When Barnum knocked on Caroline's bedroom door, he didn't expect an answer back. He stood out in the hall, shoulders slumped and head bowed, at a door that didn't open.

"Caroline? I'm sorry, baby girl, I—"

The doorknob twisted and the door slowly opened, revealing two small, untrusting faces peering out at him - but the door didn't open all the way. Helen's cheeks were tear-stained and she'd popped her thumb in her mouth again.

"Why aren't you with Phillip?" Caroline asked. Barnum winced. She spoke with an eerie wiseness beyond her years that reminded Barnum too much of her mother.

"I'm sorry, girls, truly I am and I know I owe you both an explanation. Please, may I come in?"

The girls looked at each other. Helen nodded just slightly, thumb still in her mouth, and Caroline sighed. The door opened wider.

Caroline, like a little mini Charity, crossed her arms over her chest. Eyes that reflected Charity's own stared up at her father. "You have ten minutes."

"You sound just like your mother." Barnum choked out a chuckle.

Caroline didn't laugh.

Barnum heaved a sigh and sat on Caroline's bed. Helen - forgetting, perhaps, that she was supposed to be upset with her father - finally dropped her thumb from her mouth and scrambled into Barnum's lap. Caroline's baby face scrunched up in a frown as she scowled at her sister.

"I miss you, Daddy," Helen whined, wrapping her arms around Barnum in a hug.

"I haven't gone anywhere," Barnum mumbled.

"You changed since you started loving Mr. Phillip more than us."

Barnum cringed. "Oh, sweetheart," he croaked. "Phillip could never replace you or your sister. I love you both so, so much."

"But you love Mr. Phillip too," Caroline mumbled.

"I—"

"You didn't say no."

"Do you love Mr. Phillip like you love Mommy?" Helen asked, looking up at him. Then her face scrunched up and fresh tears shined in her eyes. "You - you do love Mommy, don't you?"

"Of course I love Mommy," Barnum whispered. "There are not enough words in the English language to describe how much I love your mommy."

"Are there 'nough to 'scribe how much you love Mr. Phillip?" Helen asked.

Barnum sighed and closed his eyes as he stroked his daughter's hair. "I love Mr. Phillip," he whispered, "but, the thing is - I don't think he knows. Loving Phillip is a lot harder than loving your mommy."

"Why?" Helen asked. Caroline was still silent, but she moved closer and sat next to her father too. After a moment, she rested her head against his arm.

"People don't understand why a man can love a person the same as them. A lot of people don't like it. And, well, some people go as far as hurting others because they disapprove."

"Is that why all those people were outside?" Caroline murmured. "Because they don't like that you love Mr. Phillip?"

Barnum simply nodded.

"Can't we all be together?" Helen asked. "Us and you and Mommy and Mr. Phillip?"

Barnum chuckled and kissed her head. "I'm afraid it's not that simple, sweetheart."

"Are you going to leave us?" Caroline whispered. Her lower lip shook.

"Never!" Barnum proclaimed a little loudly, startling both his daughters. He settled down. "Never, ever will I leave you, Caroline. I'll be here when you grow up and become the world's most famous ballerina,"

Caroline blushed.

"and when you first get courted by a boy—"

"Ewww!" Caroline squealed. "Daddy, no!"

Barnum laughed. Then, when the laughter faded, he pulled both his girls close and kissed the top of their heads.

"I'll always be here for you," he murmured, closing his eyes. "You're my girls. And whether I love Mommy or Mr. Phillip - nothing will ever change that."