44

That night, after he put the girls to bed, Barnum slumped down on the couch in the living room.

Charity still wasn't back.

The ringmaster sighed and closed his eyes. The rest of the day had been spent playing with his girls, participating in whatever their little hearts desired. They were all hugs and giggles by the time he'd put them to bed, blinking back tears as he kissed their little cheeks.

He had no idea when he'd be able to do that again.

Tears rolled down Barnum's face as he tilted his head back, eyes still closed. He breathed deep, about half asleep when he heard the slightest creak of footsteps on the stairs.

"Daddy?"

The man's eyes flew open and flicked over to the young girl that approached him, dressed in her sleeping gown with a teddy bear clutched to her chest. He hurriedly wiped the tears away.

"What are you doing down here? Shouldn't you be sleeping?" Barnum lifted an eyebrow and flashed the lopsided smile that usually made his daughters laugh.

Caroline did not laugh.

"I don't wanna go away, Daddy." The girl climbed onto the couch and laid her head against her father's arm. Concerned, Barnum gently maneuvered his arm and wrapped it around his daughter.

"Go away?" He feigned confusion. "Why wo—"

"Mommy told me. Helen doesn't know, but she told me after I...told her. About the hallway." Caroline's eyes filled with tears. "I'm sorry, Daddy."

"It's all right, sweetheart, you didn't—"

"I don't wanna go away." Acting like she was suddenly half her age, tears spilled over on Caroline's cheeks and she crawled into her father's lap. "Don't wanna leave you, Daddy, can't you talk to Mommy?" her voice broke. "Please?"

"It's only for a little while, sweetheart," Barnum whispered. "You love Grandma and Grandpa, don't you?"

"I don't want you to die," the girl wept.

Barnum was startled. "Die? Caroline, I'm not going to—"

"The hallway," she wailed. "You were in the hallway and you couldn't get up, Daddy, I th-thought—" She hiccuped. Snot ran down the space between her nose and upper lip. "I d-don't want you to be gone when I come back, Daddy, please don't be—"

"Shh, shh." Barnum rocked the girl like she was a toddler again. "I'm right here, Caroline, sweetheart, I'm right here. I'm not going anywhere." He kissed her tangled hair. "I'll be right here when you come back, all right? I pro—"

"Phineas?"

Barnum looked up. Charity stood in the doorway, hair done up, sharply observing the scene between her husband and sobbing daughter.

"Mommy!" Caroline flung up from Barnum's lap and ran to her mother. She clung at Charity's skirt. "Please don't make us go away, Mommy," the girl wailed miserably. "I wanna stay with Daddy, please."

Barnum looked helplessly up at his wife.

"Caroline..." Charity stepped back. "You know this is for the best."

"I don't wanna go."

"You are to stay with your grandparents," Charity snapped, "and that's final. Now, go to your room. I've got some things to discuss with your father."

"But, Mommy—!"

"Now, Caroline!"

The girl ran, sobbing, to her room. Barnum stared after her, heart twisting in his chest.

"Charity, perhaps you were a bit harsh with—"

"Is he gone?"

Barnum nodded. "Left shortly after you did," he whispered. "I spent the day with the girls."

"Well, I'm glad to see you're finally getting some sense back, Phineas. See? They're not even gone yet and you're already acting more like a grown-up."

"She's really upset, Charity. I think—"

"You know that's because of you, don't you? Had you not freaked her out in the hallway, she wouldn't be acting the way she is now."

Barnum flinched.

"I'm sorry," he moaned. "For everything."

Charity nodded. "There is something else, Phineas."

Barnum swallowed. He waited in silence.

"I spoke with Father—"

"Like I'll listen to anything that man says?"

"—while I did not give him the full details of your relationship with Phillip, I did hint at some..." she paused, as if debating over the right word, "corrupting behavior going on 'behind the scenes' of your show."

"And?" Barnum spat.

"He and I both believe it would be best if you...fired Mr. Carlyle."