15

Barnum sat, head in his hands, at his office desk when there was a light knock on the door. Like a child, he peered through his fingers at the door before dropping his hands and calling, "Come in."

The door opened and a worried Charity came into the room with Helen peering at her father from behind. Barnum managed a ghost of a smile at his daughter, but it vanished quickly.

"Are you all right, Phineas?" Charity asked. "Phillip seemed a bit...frustrated when he rushed off. Didn't even stop to say goodbye to the girls."

Barnum sighed. "We had a...disagreement."

"Oh?"

"Business stuff, of course. It was nothing."

Helen soon became bored of the conversation and ran off to find her sister. Barnum watched her go, running a hand through his hair.

"I should be getting ready to go," he announced, standing up. They had a performance later that night.

"What about Phillip?"

"Don't concern yourself, darling." He placed a quick, chaste kiss upon her lips before dashing out of his office. "I'll speak with him tonight. It's fine."

"All right...but, Phin, before you go..."

Barnum sighed and turned back to face his wife. "Yes, dear?"

"I found this while straightening up the guest room." She held out her hand. "I figured it must be Phillip's."

Barnum stared down at the object in his wife's hand.

Phillip's dip pen.

I know Phillip Carlyle never rlly had, like, a "lucky pen" or anything in the movie, but bc he used to be a playwrite I decided to give him one that he still carries around 🤷🏽‍♀️ sue me