16

"Lettie, have you seen Phillip?"

Lettie ran a brush through her hair as she turned to Barnum. "I think he and Anne went to get some things from the back tent," she responded.

Barnum nodded his thanks and, hand firmly in his pocket, ventured off to find his partner. He'd just exited the main tent when Phillip and Anne approached. Phillip had something - a prop, perhaps - tucked underneath his arm.

Barnum's gaze immediately fell to their interlocked fingers.

"Hey, Barnum," Anne greeted, smiling, lips freshly coated pink. Phillip stared at Barnum and squeezed Anne's hand.

"Hi, Anne. May I speak to Phillip for a moment?"

"Oh, sure. I should go see if W.D.'s ready for tonight anyway."

The girl kissed Phillip on the cheek before walking off. After she left, Phillip folded his arms over his chest.

"Stay the hell away from me, Phineas."

"I didn't want to start anything," Barnum murmured.

"Then why the hell are you here?"

"It's my circus."

"Our." Phillip rose an eyebrow.

Barnum sighed. His eyes briefly met Phillip's, but the younger man scowled at him with so much hatred in his eyes that he had to look away. He stared down at the ground instead as his hand fished into his pocket.

"You, uh...forgot this." The pen laid in his palm.

Phillip's eyes widened. He didn't do anything at first, didn't say anything, didn't take the pen.

Then he shoved Barnum. The bigger man staggered and the pen almost fell from his hand.

"You bastard! Why the hell do you have that?!"