Chapter twenty one

I answered the phone to hear silence. I had to double check to see if I had answered it at all. I put it back to my ear.
"Dean? Baby are you there?" I asked. It had been weeks since the fight and he barely said a word to me since but this felt different. "Dean? Is everything alright? Are you two okay?" I said with a little more urgency in my voice. I was started to panic but then I heard him. He let out a sound that I wasn't sure what to make of.
"Lucy. Luc...he's....Sam is..." he could barely speak and that scared me more than anything.
"Dean, calm down. Sam is what? What's going on?" He started crying and I prayed he wasn't about to tell me what I feared.
"He's dead, Lucy. The fucking demon got to him and now he's dead." Oh my god. Not Sam. Not his brother. I felt my heart break. Not just for Dean because my heart was breaking for the loss my husband just endured but also for me. Sam was my brother-in-law and we did get close.
"Dean where are you?" I asked, suddenly needing to get to him.
"I don't know. Bobby brought us here after..." he sounded so lifeless. I needed to find him.
"Where's Bobby?"
"I told him to leave. I need to be alone with him. I can't leave him, Lucy. I can't. I promised. I promised I would keep him safe." He was starting to scare me now. I don't know what he's going to do.
"Where did he go? Did he go to Souix Falls?"
"Probably. Lucy. I can't do this. Not Sam. I can't lose Sam too. Lucy what am I going to do?" He was panicking again and I was terrified. I ran to our room and grabbed a bag I kept for this very reason. It had clothes, toiletries, anything that I may need on the road. I also had one packed in the kid's rooms. I knew that I may need to leave in a hurry one day and today was that day.
"Dean, baby calm down. Please. Just take a breath. Have you been drinking?" I asked. I needed to know where his head was at.
"Uh, yeah. A little bit, the bottle was already half empty when I started. Bobby gave it to me." I nodded to myself and tried to think of what to say to him.
"Okay, Dean. I'm going to take the kids and head to Souix Falls. Okay? Listen, can you meet us there?" I heard something but I couldn't make it out. "Dean?"
"Yeah. I'll meet you at Bobby's. You know how to get in if he's not there?"
"Yeah. I'll meet you there baby. I love you."
"I love you too." His was barely above a whisper as the line cut off and threw my phone in the bag. I grabbed it and left it at the bottom of the stairs.
"DJ! DJ bubby come on we're leaving. Get dressed or don't but get your butt in that car in five minutes. I have to grab your sister." He peeked around the corner from the kitchen confused.
"Where are we going mom? And what's with the bag?" He said, pointing his half eaten popsicle at it.
"Just go grab yours from your closet. You know what I'm talking about I explained it to you. We're going to grandpa Bobby's for a while. Let's go. I have to get your sister." I heard DJ grab his things and wait by the door as I went to Connie's closet and grabbed her diaper bag that I packed months ago. I checked the clothes and diapers inside to make sure they would fit and changed out what wouldn't. I honestly should have updated this by now.
I went down and grabbed some food and things we would need to make the trip and then we were off.

It seemed to take years to get to Bobby's when it really only took a day. I prayed Dean would be there already but I didn't see the impala as I pulled into the driveway of Singer Motors but I did see Bobby's car sitting close to the house. I parked next to it and told DJ to wait with Connie.
I slowly got out of my car and went up to the door to knock. It took only second for him to answer. I could see the tears that had been shed and the ones that had threatened to do so. He so me and they made good on it.
"Lucy? I didn't expect you to come here? Where...where are the kids?" He asked, confused obviously but still grateful to see me. He quickly grabbed my shoulders and pulled me into a tight hug.
"Dean called." My voice braking, still holding on to Bobby. "I told him to meet me here. The kids are in the car. DJ doesn't know yet. I don't want to tell him until Dean gets back." I pulled away and he looked to the car to see DJ keeping Connie busy. I knew telling DJ would just kill him so I kept it to myself for the time being.
"Alright then, I better go clean up the liquor store on my desk before you bring him in." He said, turning away but leaving the door open. I turned back to the car and walked over slowly. I opened the back door and started undoing Connie's seatbelt. I pulled her out of her chair and DJ followed followed close behind as we walked up the stairs.
"Mom, is dad alright?" He asked, stopping at the door. I turned to face him and nodded before repositioning Connie on my hip.
"Deej, your father is fine. He'll be here soon. I promise." He nodded and walked passed me into the house where I heard Bobby greet him.
"DJ! Come on in. I want to show you something."
"Hey, grandpa Bobby!" I pulled Connie closer as I cried for the loss we just endured.

I'm sure how long I stayed on the porch with the baby but it didn't take long before I heard the familiar rumble of the impala. I ran inside to put the baby someplace. Bobby conveniently had a pen I could place her in until I got the portable crib out of the car.
I ran to the door just as Dean knocked on it. I was prepared for what was on the other side of that door.