(Rio) Act Three, Scene Two

Rio took a shaky breath and stood up. He placed the journal back within the other book and placed it back on her bed. He took several more shaky breaths before he managed to leave the cabin. Outside, there was a congregation of the Big Three's children. Thalia Grace, Percy Jackson and Nico di Angelo all sat near a large aspen tree that was planted directly outside of the Janus cabin. Thalia was asleep, but the boys were talking. At first Rio had not been happy that the cabin was so close to the woods, but it was the perfect place for snooping.

"Dad says there's nothing I can do," Nico was saying, "which is weird, because I can usually do things like this. But I guess I didn't know her too well. Maybe that's it."

Percy sighed. "Maybe, Nico," he said, "but I don't know. It could be something else. Ask your dad. He'll know."

"Maybe." Nico looked doubtful, but he stood up anyway. Rio noticed that the boy was taller than he had been the last time Rio had seen him. The son of Hades sheathed his black sword, which for some reason had been sitting out, and sighed.

"Percy," he said, "thanks for talking to me. I appreciate it."

Percy shrugged. "No problem. I'll be in the ocean if you need me." and with that, he stood up as well and walked toward the beach. Nico stood there, watching him for a moment, then sighed and walked in the other direction, towards the Big House. Probably to talk to Chiron or something. Rio had no clue how the boy would talk to his father, and was about to follow when he remembered: Nico's dad was Hades. The god of the Underworld. Rio shivered and crept back to the Janus cabin, wondering if he'd made the right choice.

As Rio reentered the cabin he noticed that there was a sniffling lump lying on his bed. "Madeline?" He asked as he approached the lump. "Are you okay, big sis?" He only used that nickname on special occasions, now being one of them.

Madeline continued to cry, and as Rio got closer he could feel himself drifting into another reality.