(Rio) Act Three, Scene Three

He stood on the edge of the forest watching as his sisters and Fred attacked the beast that had killed Ara. Madeline made a lunge and then moved to the other side in one fluid motion, stabbing the beast from the other side. The bull fell on the other side of Ara, just barely missing her.

Madeline rushed to her younger half-sister, "Are you okay?" Ara nodded and then walked off. The dream shifted to that night.

"I'm sorry," Ara whispered before she picked up an arrow, she dipped it in a green liquid that made a sizzling noise. She then pressed it to her chest.

"NO!" Rio shouted, lifting his hand up. He couldn't do anything about it, though, and the poisoned arrow entered his sister's chest, right where her heart was. The sharp point entered her skin as easily as a knife through butter, and she gave a sharp gasp. "I'm sorry," she repeated, "It had to be done. I had to know for myself whether this is true." and she slumped to her bed, lifeless once again. Rio felt the tears coursing down his cheeks; the death of his sister was jarring enough once, but to see it happen a second time, in a different way? It was downright cruel. Rio couldn't bear it.

Rio blinked and was back in the Janus cabin, in reality. He was now right next to Madeline, who was starting to calm down a little, but was still crying. Rio managed a small smile. "You're on my bed, Maddie," he whispered, trying to tease, but he just couldn't muster humor right now.

Rio fell to his knees and began to stroke his older sister's bubble gum pink hair, trying to soothe her though it did not seem to be working. "Is it my fault?" She asked with a quiet sob.

"I-I, no, it's not." Rio said unable to tell his half sister what he had seen.