Engaged

Shawn Hunter was engaged, in the to be married sense, and goodness knows if he wasn't over the moon about it. What he had with Katy was nothing like Cory and Topanga. He wasn't Katy's first love and she wasn't his, but that didn't mean they couldn't they couldn't find happiness together. It all fit together perfectly, as if someone had written them into existence just for him. Three people with the same baggage, same problems coming together to be something more: a family. Unfortunately, his job hadn't gotten the memo.

"What is it?" Katy asked when Shawn groaned at his phone.

"Stupid boss wants me to do a story in Buffalo," Shawn whined.

"Didn't you just finish a job before the kids dragged you here?" Katy replied.

"Hey, no one dragged me," Shawn said defensively.

"If you say so," Katy giggled. Shawn rolled over in bed to face her, leaving his phone unanswered.

"We just got engaged last night," Shawn reminded her, reaching forward to stroke the side of her face with the back of his hand. "I don't wanna go to work."

"I hate to burst your bubble," Katy grinned at him. "But no one does."

"But this work is over six hours from here," Shawn whined laying his head back down on the pillow. He'd never not wanted to go to work so much in his life. Shawn really liked his job, but waking up next to Katy was a new and wonderful thing he didn't want to miss.

"You know I'll be here when you get back," Katy told him.

"I know," Shawn smiled, turning again to kiss her. "I love you, Katy."

"Hmm," she hummed, her eyes closed. "I'll never get tired of hearing that." Shawn cleared his throat loudly, and she added. "I love you too."

"Thanks," Shawn grinned. Reaching forward, he ran his hand down her side until it rested on her hip. Then he kissed her deeply, his other hand holding her face.

"Do you have to leave right away?" Katy asked. He could feel her hands on his back.

"I've got some time," Shawn whispered against her skin. He could feel her smile into his kiss.

Shawn left for work eager to be finished the job so he could get back to his fiance. Fiance! It was a word he'd never thought would apply to him since the day Angela had left him and yet, now it did. Life really did know what it was doing.

Shawn wouldn't say he didn't do his best on this assignment, but he certainly didn't over do it. Some photos, a few paragraphs, cheap motels and twelve hours of driving later, Shawn was home again.

"So what's been happening while I've been away," Shawn said eagerly. "Catch me up."

"Maya came home with the cops," Katy said.

"What!" Shawn yelled, almost spitting up his coffee.

"Vandalism," Katy explained easily. Her calm was making him anxious.

"Okay, I didn't mean to bring her back to herself that much!" Shawn exclaimed, worried he'd over done it.

"Oh, but wait till you hear what she did," Katy replied smiling. "The devil's in the details."

"You are altogether too okay with this," Shawn informed her.

"Maya took spray cans and brighten up the park," Katy explained, smiling. "She wrote 'hope' on the wall in bright block letters."

"Oh," Shawn said, his overreaction contained. "Wow, that's good, right?"

"Definitely," Katy smiled. "I got to watch her and Riley have a real moment. Maya said there's a voice in her head of Riley's making that tells her not to do bad things. She named the voice Dorthy."