Comfortable

Shawn closed his laptop after finishing that last round of editing. Rubbing his eyes, he checked the time and discovered he'd quite lost track of it. After brushing his teeth, Shawn got into his cold empty bed. Though it was a double, he couldn't bring himself to sleep on her side, or even in the middle. Had hotel beds always been this cold? How quickly he'd gotten used to sleeping beside her. Turning his head, Shawn reached out his hand and laid it across the cold empty place where his wife should be. He hated sleeping alone, hated it more and more each time. The grey speckled hotel ceiling filled his vision as Shawn tried to get comfortable alone. Then again, maybe it was the rough sheets and hard mattress that was his problem. What was missing your family compared to lumpy mattresses anyway?

With a groan, Shawn rolled over trying to get comfortable enough to at least doze. He pulled an extra pillow closer and hugged it, which helped a little, but the pillow was no substitute for Katy.

With a sudden moment of clarity, Shawn sat up in bed. What the hell was he doing here? Working? It just wasn't enough of a reason. If he was this miserable then it was time to do something about it. Shawn was half out of bed before he remembered that it was the middle of the night. Instead he laid back down with a fierce determination burning bright inside him, and no hope of a good night's sleep. Shawn tried to sleep just enough so he would be safe to drive tomorrow.

His dreams were fractured and his sleep horrible, but when morning finally came, Shawn jumped out of bed and packed up his truck without a moment's hesitation. It felt good to be moving, moving towards what he wanted for a change.

Arriving exactly where he wanted to be, Shawn parked the truck and ran inside. He saw her at once and he smiled without meaning to, like he always did when she was around.

"Katy!" Shawn called, running towards her.

"Shawn?" his wife's voice was stunned, her eyes wide as she saw him.

Reaching her, Shawn wrapped his arms around his wife and spun her around lifting her into the air.

"I thought you were going to be out on that story for at least a week?" Katy asked, but her smile said it all.

"I quit!" Shawn exclaimed.

"You quit your job?" Katy asked for confirmation as he set her down.

"Yep," Shawn grinned.

"Don't you think this is something we are suppose to talk about first?" Katy asked.

"Oh right," Shawn said, his excitement dying down a little. She didn't look mad though. In fact, she was giggling a little at him. "What's so funny?"

"You're crazy," Katy told him easily. "You know that, right?"

"Crazy for you," Shawn told her, smiling. He reached out to take her hands and look her in the eyes before adding. "I hate leaving almost as much as I hate being away from my family."

"I love you too," Katy told him. Then she kissed him. Shawn took the invitation to kiss her more deeply, his hands pulling her close. He kissed down her neck as his hands moved up her back. He heard that soft moan from deep in her throat. Shawn grinned into their kiss. He wasn't surprised when he felt her hands at his belt.

Shawn couldn't remember ever being so comfortable. The world was a better place in his own bed, his wife asleep in his arms. Her shoulders were bare - much like the rest of her - and he traced his fingers gently over her perfect skin, smiling to himself.

"You know it's creepy watching people sleep," Katy said.

"Then I'm creepy," Shawn replied easily. He paused for a moment before adding. "I've never hated hotel beds so much before I got used to sleep beside youuu." Shawn tried and failed to stifle a huge yawn as he finished speaking.