Family

"Maya's birthday is coming up," Shawn said. "Do you have any idea what she wants?"

"Probably something I can't afford," Katy replied, with a smile. "Like usual."

"Ah, but maybe it's something we can afford," Shawn reminded her. "Like last time."

"Hey, I paid for most of that locket," Katy objected.

Grinning, Shawn pulled her close and kissed her. "My mistake," he said.

"Wow," Katy whispered. "You do realize what this means don't you?" Shaw shook his head. "It's been a year since we met."

"Is that all?" Shawn asked, genuinely surprised.

"You walked into the NightHawk diner on Maya's 14th birthday," Katy said. "And she turns 15th next week."

"Huh," Shawn remarked. "Feels like it's been longer."

"I know the feeling," Katy smiled back at him.

"So, any gift ideas?" Shawn asked. "Has she dropped hints that I've missed?"

"Probably," Katy replied. "But I shall have to try and figure that out later." She leaned forward and kissed him goodbye before reminding him that she was due on set.

"Good luck!" Shawn called back. "Break a leg."

Riley Matthew's couldn't be called subtle. Then again, Shawn would never expect such a thing from any child of his best friend. The first time Riley tried to casually mention his adopting Maya, Shawn knew exactly what was going on.

"I mean, technically it would be the most accurate," Riley continued.

"Changing the topic just for a moment," Shawn replied. "I did actually come here for a reason today."

"Oh?"

"Do you know what Maya wants for her birthday?" Shawn asked.

"A new daddy?" Riley said, looking up at him innocently. Like the rest of her hints Shawn pretended to ignore this, though it was nice to have his own inclinations confirmed by Riley's attempts to inspire it.

"Something purchasable," Shawn explained.

"Not clothes," Riley offered.

"Thanks," Shawn replied sarcastically. "Real helpful."

"No problem," Riley exclaimed. It was just unnatural for anyone to smile that much! Child of Cory's or not. Unnatural and highly annoying.

"Would you mind maybe asking her," Shawn tried in a calm voice. "Subtly without her knowing."

"Sure thing," Riley smiled. It was only as she was walking away that Shawn realized his mistake. Riley Matthew's wasn't subtle. Shawn turned around, but it was too late. Riley was talking to Maya. Shawn tried to sneak away, but the time for a quick exit had also passed.

"So, it's my birthday next week."

Shawn turned around to see his... daughter - he was still getting used to calling her that - looking up at him with a huge grin.

"Yes, I'm aware," Shawn replied.

"So..." Maya continued.

"So," Shawn echoed.

"What ya gonna get me?" Maya asked gleefully.

"How about Riley's head on a platter?" Shawn asked.

"As much fun as that sounds," Maya replied, ignoring Shawn's satire completely. "I was thinking more like a computer."

"Were you now?" Shawn inquired, his eyebrows raised.