Chapter 33

The groans of the old swing shattered the silence that laid over the quait cottage hidden in rose bushes as it shuddered under the weight of its master. The soft smell of roses that everyone so loved drifted into the room with the incoming breeze. A thick layer of dust covered the place, untouched for years, trying to cover the shattered remains of the furnitures that once stood there. All that prevailed were the heartbreaking memories of the love that once delved there.

Had it really been love?

Adam caught a glimpse of himself in the mirror and grimaced in disgust at the monster that was reflected back. It wasn't him but at the same time it was him. He turned away and stared out of the window as he lost himself in the past.

He had built this cottage for Anna when they were still very much in love, or so he assumed. The garden was then, filled with exotic flowers that he had personally assigned people to collect from 'round the world. Flowers were something that she cherished. So on their second anniversary he had presented it to her in great hope that she would love it. But now that he looked back, that was when trouble had started brewing.
Anna had always loved big things. A big house, big fountains, all the glamorous things that money could provide. Where as on the other hand his ego had prevented him from seeing through the façade of happiness that had been plastered on her face. Now that he looked back, there had been a mild distaste that she had showcased. It had subsequently escalated to subtle turning of her head to avoid his kisses, spending less time with him... They all had been clues to what was to come.

As time went on, their fights had increased. But he had hardly paid attention since there hadn't been even the slightest prospect in his mind that she would ever leave him. After all every couple fought.

Balls and parties were the worst of all. With him being the prince, there was a constant expectation that he was to mingle with every high dignitary that graced them with their presenceand Anna was a person who couldn't stand the sometimes meaningless conversations that went one in the parties. In the starting she tried to bear them but as time passed she grew tired of them and danced in the balls by her own rarely waiting or even dancing with him enjoying herself with the various visitors that came. Ther often were rumors about her spending her nights with complete strangers and her behavior with him the next day did nothing to lay rest to those rumors. But still he always forgave her, taking her back with or without any apologies from her, guilty of leaving her alone.

Even with all of this it was with great shock that he saw her leave him for Elena's brother. Perhaps in his naïveity had he assumed that with his benevolence, she would had stayed with him forever. That flowers and poems would show her his love rather than money and other earthly desires.

Or had he been wrong? Should he have tried a bit harder? Stayed with her in the balls and danced with her? Given her the palace that she always dreamt of? Her desires were never too hard to satisfy. Building a place or giving her a dance wasn't anything too difficult to him to name a few of her wishes. Then why? Why had he still not done anything even if he knew?

And Beauty? He was the most amazing thing that had happened to him in his entire life. Sweet, caring, a little headstrong, a mischief minx, just thinking about him made him smile. He did love him and Adam knew that with all his heart but the ghosts of the past did not let him live in peace. The constant fear of being left all alone haunted him and with the petals of the rose having all almost gone. He didn't want Beau to suffer the same fate as him if the spell failed to break. But then Beau's smiling face flashed by his eyes.

He sighed at his predicament and got up to get back. He has spent enough time whining at his own misfortune while he had hardly had tried to correct any of it. And while Beau was nothing like Anna, if he wanted to change the future, he couldn't act the same way with Beau like he had with her. Dusting off his cloths he headed to the door and winced at the bright sunlight that poured through the door.

It was beautiful day with clear sky's and gentle winds. Beau would love to take a stroll through the gardens he thought as he smiled to himself and reached the main house. But before he could open the door, it was slammed open from the inside and a flustered looking Mr Clok hurried outside to only bump into Adam. Staggering back, Mr Clok looked up and cried out in relief.
"Master! They are gone!"
Adam looked down at the middle aged man quizzically.
"Breathe." He told to the huffing clock, letting our a chuckle at Mr Clok'd frazzled state. Mr Clok shook is head in haste and cried out again.
"Master, Mr Beau is gone! Along with his lady friend and Mr Ivan!"
Adam felt his smile drop as he took some time to process the information and then paled in horror. Pushing aside Mr Clok he barged into the kitchen where everyone had gathered.
"What Clok said, is it true?" He roared in anger.
"Master Adam, calm down." He heard Mrs Potts tell him and looked at her in horror at her state. Mrs Potts was a women who never perfection and that included her appearance. But now she stood with dust all over her and a chip in her snout.
"What happened?" He whispered again.
And so Mrs Potts told him.
"Beau had fallen sick after crying and so he was in bed rest..." Adam closed his eyes as heart clenched in pain in hearing that.
"...I agreed and Ivan locked me up in the broom closet. Forgive me sir. I should had taken care to taste the drink before letting them drink. I have failed in my-"
"Stop." Adam could take it no more. "It wasn't your fault. It's not too late. Let's dispatch someone to find them."
Adam has just finished his sentence when the hurried sound of wood clacking was heard before Mr Clok came rushing back and he wheezed out:
"Humans! Humans are here! And they don't look friendly sire!"

Hey!
So how was the chapter? Did Adam have enough of emotions?
And I am so sorry about the random updates and they are gonna remain random more or less since most of the time I end up busy because of the tests and college.
Sorry 😭.
❤️
Stardust