Chapter One

Ashton slammed his locker shut after checking to make sure he had all of his things. He leaned up against the locker and nonchalantly checked his phone while waiting for his friends. The freshman let out a huff of annoyance at their (not uncommon) lateness.

After a couple more minutes of waiting, Ashton became impatient, and left his locker and started down the hall to find them. He weaved through the crowds of popular kids from all grades mingling about, trying not to bump into anyone. Although, that was just wishful thinking... Ashton felt his shoulder accidentally hit another person, the sudden force made him fall towards the ground.

Ashton had his eyes closed, waiting to make contact with the gross floor. But it never happened. Confused, he turned his gaze up and smiled. There was his friend, Chandler, smirking down at him. He'd caught him from falling in the dip position you'd see in a dance.

"You know, you really should watch where you're going..." Chandler joked. Ashton hit him in the shoulder.

"Shut up. Now let me go before people think we're dating or something." He said, rolling his eyes. Chandler just chuckled, pulling him into a standing position. Even while both of them were standing at full height, Chandler was still almost a head taller than Ashton, although it didn't help that he was a junior while he was a freshman.

The two had met at the homecoming game just this year, but it didn't take long for them to become close friends. The only friend closer to him than Chandler was--

"CHANDLERRRR!!!"

Eli. Ashton and Eli had been inseparable since elementary school. Almost every day, they'd beg their parents to have one of them come over to the other's house for no reason, other than they hadn't hung out since yesterday, and the day before, and the day before... That friendship had been the only one to make all the way through middle school without any bumps, both Ashton and Eli had lost friends along the way, but the two of them had stuck it out through three years of some of the most challenging years.

Little did the three of them know, the most challenging time for them was a lot closer than they all thought, and it'd be much shorter. Quite literally, actually...

"Chandler?! Where the HELL did you go?!" Eli's signature loud voice shouted through the crowds.

"Over here!" He replied back, waving until Eli made his way out of the swarms of populars.

"Jeez, what took you two so long?" Ashton asked.

"Well, if Mrs. Grimes wouldn't give us a bullshit "exit ticket" every damn day..." Eli muttered.

"Oh, stop complaining, and let's go already!" Chandler interrupted. But, before he or Ashton could even move, Eli pushed them both from behind, making them walk.

"Oh my god, Eli! Why must you push us all the time?" Ashton groaned, nearly tripping.

"Eh, I find it fun." He replied.

It was mid-April, and the weather was in that weird position between warm days and "a couple inches of snow" days. Lucky for them, it happened to be one of those warm periods. Ashton looked around the school's front courtyard, seeing the mingling students walking to their parents' cars, or even their own, and some just hanging out and talking.

Ashton walked home since he only lived about 15 to 20 minutes away. Eli and Chandler always came to the street corner at the edge of school grounds with him, and he couldn't leave without a big bear hug from Eli and another hug from Chandler.

As they were walking, Ashton decided to strike up a conversation. This small, no, tiny decision to just say something would change the three of their lives.