Chapter Seven

Chandler ate his breakfast in mostly silence, his mind constantly wandering to his shrunken friend currently hiding out in his room. He still wondered why Ash had had such a bad nightmare about him. Was it possible that he was coming off as intimidating without realizing?

"Hey, Channie!" Kinsley called him by his nickname that he hated, "what are ya thinking about?"

"Nothing, just, I'm thinking about my friend, Ashton. He's...sick, and it's much different than any other type of sickness and I'm just worried." Chandler replied, trailing off, his mind wandering back to Ashton.

"Ashton? Oh yeah, I remember him! Brown-ish hair, little bit of freckles, kinda cute..." Kinsley stopped mid-sentence, "I've always kinda had a crush on him!"

"Well too bad, you can't have him." Chandler almost instantaneously said back. Kinsley's shoulder's drooped sadly.

"Aww, is he dating someone?" She asked. Chandler then realized what he'd said.

"...Actually, I might've been wrong, I think he and his girlfriend just broke up." He quickly lied. The younger girl's previously peppy posture came right back.

"Yay! Hey, do you think you could take me and my friends downtown later to go out for lunch? I'll give you a week of my allowance?" She suddenly asked. Chandler thought for a moment, before shaking his head.

"No, sorry. I was planning on hanging out with Eli today. We were gonna check on Ash, then probably go see a movie or something."

     God, I haven't lied so many times in a row before... Chandler thought. Kinsley sighed at his reply.

"Okay...maybe Dad'll take me." She thought out loud, getting up from her chair at the kitchen table, clearing her dishes, then heading up to her room. Once Chandler was sure there wasn't somebody watching, he began taking some of the leftover food from his plate and putting it into his pockets to smuggle upstairs. A few bits of scrambled egg, bacon bits (those were for something he had to do), and a piece of toast that he'd "share", but Ashton wouldn't really eat that much of it.

As he did this, he thought to his conversation. Why has he said what he said? What did it mean that he was so quick to deflect her away from Ash? He sighed slowly, closing his eyes.

     What is it about you, Ashton James Greene?

~~~~~

Chandler came to his closed bedroom door, looking down the hallway both directions. Then, he softly knocked on the door twice, his signal to let Ashton know it was him. He then opened the door and went in, swiftly shutting it behind him.

"Ashton? Ash?" He whispered out. His eyes scanned the floor until they locked with a pair a lot smaller from behind a table leg.

"There y'are, lil buddy. I brought you some food!" He said in a happy singsong voice. Ashton's face lit up, he was hungry and couldn't wait to get some food in his stomach. He practically inhaled the pieces of eggs, and he ate several sections of the toast piece until whining:

"You didn't have any bacon left?"

Chandler smiled, and reached down into his pocket, setting out a small pile of bacon bits on the floor in front of the tiny. Ashton gasped happily, jumping for the bacon, but stopped short when Chandler pulled it away.